Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QDM Article

dbltree

Super Moderator
Good article in the latest Iowa Conservationist (soon to become Iowa Outdoors)on what it really means to practice good QDM on our land.

Letting immature bucks walk is only a small part of managing our deer herd.

Keeping the population in check and closer to a one to one ratio of mature bucks and does is just as important...if not more so.

Some areas of Iowa already have things under control and just have to maintain, but for many of us...things are still wildly out of control.

I see the quality of mature animals declining as the deer herd continues to grow and the ratio of bucks to does becomes way out of whack
confused.gif

There is also a very good article on our very own Old Buck and his own efforts to manage his land properly and enjoying it from every aspect...rather then just a one track mind about killing a big buck.

I think most of us share that love for our land, conservation and wildlife of all kinds...at least that's what it means to me. Year around enjoyment with harvesting a mature buck being just one of many many goals for my land.

October is a great time to be in the woods and is also a perfect chance to trim the doe population. Great way to practice and be ready for that "big one" in November!

Some mornings I find that I can actually take several does from the same stand with my bow. I drag them out into a field, dress them and return...often in time to catch the next bunch coming thru.

Don't let a beautiful month slip by waiting for the rut...enjoy it and follow Larry's lead by doing your part to keep our deer herd in check
waytogo.gif

Iowa Conservationist

[ QUOTE ]
Don't let a beautiful month slip by waiting for the rut...enjoy it and follow Larry's lead by doing your part to keep our deer herd in check

[/ QUOTE ] Not to mention besides a management tool it is great practice for when that buck of your dreams walks by!

Top Bottom