Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Q's about thumb style

KnuckleDragr

I didn't want to hyjack the other thread so I'll start new. I'm curious to know more about these. How many guys are using them and what are the main advantages over the wrist style? I like to try anything that might increase accuracy but it looks like you would have to establish a new anchor point not to mention a whole new feel to shooting the bow. Almost seems like learning to shoot all over again. What are your thoughts? I've been debating on trying one, but they are quite expensive.

Like I said in the other thread I tried to make the switch but couldn't get comfortable with it. Just to much of a change. I know a few other guys that tried to do it and couldn't. I think I could get use to it but it would take some doing.

Mobile Cooter using IW

i switched 100% this summer. I use mine all year round now. the more you shoot with one the better u will like it. But in my case i had to move my peep to keep the same anchor points.

It works both ways. If I go back now to a wrist style after shooting a thumb style release, I think my anchor point is much more secure with the thumb style release. I just feel lost shooting the old wrist strap again. My sights and everything is all spot on with either, it doesn't matter, but after shooting the thumb style I wouldn't go back. Shooting the thumb style release has tightened up my groups considerably.

I like the thumb style because I can clip it on the sting and it's there and ready to go and out of the way. I don't have to worry about my wrist release that's always hangin out where you don't want it to and banging on everything it can.

Word of caution though. I lost my pro diamond this year, just fell out of my pocket somewhere. Advantage wrist strap release. I always keep a spare wrist strap release in my case.

I have one also and tried making the switch late summer and was shooting well with it...can't say it was any better than the wrist strap style. I couldn't get comfortable enough with it to switch either...I wish I was because like shadowpeople said, I hate my wrist strap banging into everything.

I have one also and tried making the switch late summer and was shooting well with it...can't say it was any better than the wrist strap style. I couldn't get comfortable enough with it to switch either...I wish I was because like shadowpeople said, I hate my wrist strap banging into everything.

Is it truefire that has that new wrist strap release that folds out of the way? Maybe look into that one? I saw Julie K. on the outdoor channel marketing it.

I started shooting archery probably 10 years using a thumb trigger style, bought a couple of index trigger releases over the years to try them out and I just couldn't get used to them. I bought a Carter Chocolate Addiction a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Ok, I'm not sure anyone has actually addressed your question so here you go.

I have been shooting a handle for 5 years now and I would never switch back again,

Here's why
1. It's a natural rotation of your arm to turn while drawing and ending with the back or your hand(knuckles) toward your cheek. This makes it much smoother to draw a bow once you get used to it.

2. I'm sure you have heard the term "trigger slap"? With a trigger style wrist strap release it is way to easy to slap the trigger at the moment of truth. With a T handle it is almost impossible to jerk the trigger especially with a pressure sensitive style (clicker). I personally use the Boss X clicker style release and love it. It is pressure sensitive so you anchor, take a breath and slowly put pressure on it and it goes off.

3. Nothing on your wrist while hunting! That used to drive me bat shit crazy when I was hunting. With a handle, you just put in a secure pocket and attach it to your loop when you get set, and you never have to worry about dealing with a stupid wrist strap :grin:

I will tell you though, if you decide to try one give it 20- 30 shots to get used to it. It's a different motion that most guys aren't used to and may take some time to adjust. You may not see a huge difference in your back yard as far as grouping etc.., but you will notice it shooting 3D or paper. :way:

As far as "learning to shoot all over or having to change you anchor point. I didn't have to change anything when I switched, just had to get used to a new feel.

The biggest advantage I've found is that you don't have anything on your wrist while in the stand. If you are hunting in a climber you are very likely to hit the release on metal parts of your stand. Also, it's climped on your D-loop so hanging and ready for use.

Like also mentioned, you avoid trigger slap. Its much harder to slap the trigger with your thumb.

Thanks guys! holding my arm up it does feel more natural to have the knuckles against my face. I may have to try one.

Top Bottom