Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quartering deer in Iowa?

TAGGING REQUIREMENTS
The head and antlers (if any) must remain attached to the carcass until it is processed for consumption.

Ha....DNR could fund half their deficit if they sent fines to all the people on TB of Ia with deer in the back of a truck with no tag on the antlers.

We have discussed quartering deer out many times during lates season in NE IA. Have never had to actually do it but hunt a few places where it sure could be possible. And I hunt with a CO.

Ha....DNR could fund half their deficit if they sent fines to all the people on TB of Ia with deer in the back of a truck with no tag on the antlers.

That's why I hunt trophy grinners. No tag needed, just the fur harvester license. Take all the hero photos you want, plaster them in PMA and no worries about folks trying to get your honey hole or nuthin. I'm goin for 300 tail inches this year!!!!

Steered this one right off the rails.

This is an example where the regs are not super clear and depending on which CO you ask, you may get a different answer. While overall I admire and appreciate the job that all DNR Officers do...I find this type of ambiguity very annoying. I think I have cut and pasted the relevant language in the IDNR regs that govern tagging and movement of deer, etc.

If you follow the stated regs below, and I think you can and still quarter a deer out and transport it from the field to the freezer, etc., then how can you be fairly fined for quartering a deer? It is not, that I can find, expressly forbidden in the regs. What basis would a CO have to cite you?

TAGGING REQUIREMENTS
The head and antlers (if any) must remain attached to the carcass until it is processed for consumption.

MANDATORY HARVEST REPORTING FOR DEER AND WILD TURKEY
Hunters who harvest a deer or wild turkey must report the harvest to the DNR by midnight on the day after it is tagged, or before taking it to a locker or taxidermist, or before processing it for consumption, or before transporting it out-of-state, whichever occurs first.

Transportation Tag
A Transportation Tag with the date of kill properly shown shall be visibly attached to the deer or turkey within 15 minutes of the time it is located
after being taken or before the carcass is moved to be transported by any means, whichever occurs first, in a manner that the tag cannot be removed without mutilating or destroying it.

This tag shall be proof of possession and remain affixed to the carcass until the animal is processed for consumption. The head, and antlers if any, shall remain attached to the deer while being transported from the place where taken to the processor or commercial preservation facility or until the deer has been processed for consumption.

With Shotgun 1 & 2 you can have a someone in your party tag the buck or doe... then it can be transported ? Correct ?

This is an example where the regs are not super clear and depending on which CO you ask, you may get a different answer. While overall I admire and appreciate the job that all DNR Officers do...I find this type of ambiguity very annoying. I think I have cut and pasted the relevant language in the IDNR regs that govern tagging and movement of deer, etc.

If you follow the stated regs below, and I think you can and still quarter a deer out and transport it from the field to the freezer, etc., then how can you be fairly fined for quartering a deer? It is not, that I can find, expressly forbidden in the regs. What basis would a CO have to cite you?

TAGGING REQUIREMENTS

MANDATORY HARVEST REPORTING FOR DEER AND WILD TURKEY
Hunters who harvest a deer or wild turkey must report the harvest to the DNR by midnight on the day after it is tagged, or before taking it to a locker or taxidermist, or before processing it for consumption, or before transporting it out-of-state, whichever occurs first.

Transportation Tag
A Transportation Tag with the date of kill properly shown shall be visibly attached to the deer or turkey within 15 minutes of the time it is located
after being taken or before the carcass is moved to be transported by any means, whichever occurs first, in a manner that the tag cannot be removed without mutilating or destroying it.

This tag shall be proof of possession and remain affixed to the carcass until the animal is processed for consumption. The head, and antlers if any, shall remain attached to the deer while being transported from the place where taken to the processor or commercial preservation facility or until the deer has been processed for consumption.

Question regarding caping...in the event you are taking the deer to a locker, can you cape it at home if you have both tags on legally? Or do you have to wait until it's at the locker to cape it, then take the cape to the taxidermist?

With Shotgun 1 & 2 you can have a someone in your party tag the buck or doe... then it can be transported ? Correct ?
But you can only take the antlers, not even the skull cap, across state lines. Can you take the meat?!?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can take the meat across state lines, but not the spine or head.... we will probably process meat locally. If we shoot any?

You can take the antlers attached to the skull cap too. Just no brain or spinal matter.
Idk. Was only talking to a taxi who does some of these for out of state hunters and said no scull cap. No idea

Idk. Was only talking to a taxi who does some of these for out of state hunters and said no scull cap. No idea

From the regs. Page 32. Section titled going out of state to hunt?

"If you take a deer, elk, moose or caribou in a CWD endemic area, you may bring back only the boned
out meat, skin (cape) and antlers. Antlers may be attached only to a clean skull plate from which all brain
and connective tissue has been removed. Animals taken outside of identified CWD areas may be transported
in any manner that is otherwise legal."

I wouldn't expect any issues bringing a cleaned out Euro mount across state line either and i know plenty who have done it.

From the regs. Page 32. Section titled going out of state to hunt?

"If you take a deer, elk, moose or caribou in a CWD endemic area, you may bring back only the boned
out meat, skin (cape) and antlers. Antlers may be attached only to a clean skull plate from which all brain
and connective tissue has been removed. Animals taken outside of identified CWD areas may be transported
in any manner that is otherwise legal."

I wouldn't expect any issues bringing a cleaned out Euro mount across state line either and i know plenty who have done it.
This is correct!
About every state has this law on transporting deer into their state.

Good to know. I hope I misunderstood and they really didn't make them take antlers off at the bases

Top Bottom