Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about 11 year old son

T

Turkey River

My son will be 11 years old when deer season starts next year. I have the following questions.

- At what age can he take the hunter safety course? (I have heard 12 years old)
- If he can't take the hunter safety course until he is 12 can he bow hunt with myself being in another tree 200 yards away?
- Can he shot gun hunt in a group if he can't take the hunter safety course until he is 12?

What really confuses me about the situation is that I see pictures in the local papers of 10 year olds with the deer that shot during youth season. I didn't think they could hunt youth season with out passing the hunter safety program.

...an 11 year old can take the Hunter Education Course, though the certificate does not become valid until the student's 12th birthday...hunter education is required for purchasing the regular "small-game" hunting license, not deer/turkeys tags/licenses, for those born after Jan 1, 1967, except the youth deer season...

...there is no age minimum for purchasing a deer hunting tag/license, except for the youth season where the hunter must be 12-15 years old...however, the youth must be accompanied and under the supervision by a correctly licensed adult...this is where you need the interpretation of a Conservation Officer...how close do you have to be?...some say within sight others say right beside them...

...clear as mud, right?!...

As previously stated he can take the DNR hunter education class at age 11 but he will not receive the card until he turns 12.

He does not need the HE card to puchase either a deer or turkey license, but he will need it to purhcase his regular hunting license.

No matter what season he hunts deer (or weapon) he must be under the DIRECT supervision of a licensed adult. Direct supervision means you are right there to help guide him througout the hunt---not 200 yards away doing hand signals.

I don't know about the pictures you saw but for any participant in the youth deer hunt they must carry their hunter education card on their person--so yes, they must first complete a hunter education class in order to legally hunt the youth deer season.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom