Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about gun vs. muzzleloader

Ried#3

I'm considering giving up gun hunting and going late muzzy. I've grown up doing deer drives and they group is starting to break up and December has so many family obligations it's hard to get out during shotgun. I've never been muzzy hunting and wanting some opinions!

Late muzzy = Great opportunity at some really good bucks IF you have access to corn or bean food plots & the weather gets nasty! Probably best opportunity for a gun hunter to get a really good buck.

Harvested fields are just fine as long as deer are feeding in them. I can't stress enough how much I love the late muzzy season! I love hunting in cold brutal weather. The deer bunch up like crazy. I've had luck hunting food sources in the evening or hunting a Bedding area in the morning and catch them on their way to bed. We have a few of us that do some pushes as well, but we mostly just sit.

Echo everything that has been said. As long as you can brave the cold, snow, and anything else that comes late in the season - its a great season to choose.

Late muzzy. But I'm ready for the option of two bow any sex tags if you want to opt out of gun.

I still do both. Just in entirely different areas. It's just a small family group during shotgun season and we do small deer drives. I purchase my antlerless tags in advance so I can go and shoot a few does and have fun with the family.
Bowhunting is my #1 passion but I really enjoy late muzzeloader. If you have access to farms that deer winter on, can get freezing cold temperatures and are equipped for those Temps it can be some of the best hunts of the season

Late muzz is great if you have a food source they are hitting. If not, it is a waste of time.

I have done it a couple of times. I'd say just as good as shotgun for me. Could be better if it gets really cold and you have food they are hitting or can hunt the cover they come from or between. Good chance to see lots of deer in the right area. Also, just think, if you are hunting ground that is hunted in earlier seasons, you are hunting the deer that either outsmarted those hunters or got lucky and didn't get in the way of their arrow or bullet/slug!

Top Bottom