Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about my oats

Planted generic oats Sept 1st and they are looking fantastic. Fertilzed them heavy and they are about 5" tall, basically a lush salad bar for the deer. I also overseeded with Alice clover and it too is coming along nicely. My question: The deer are only eating my tiny clover and not even touching the oats. I thought deer just loved oats so I am stumped. A couple hundred yards away I've got rye planted and they are hitting it really good but the oats, well they are sticking their nose up at them. What gives?? STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveolson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Planted generic oats Sept 1st and they are looking fantastic. Fertilzed them heavy and they are about 5" tall, basically a lush salad bar for the deer. I also overseeded with Alice clover and it too is coming along nicely. My question: The deer are only eating my tiny clover and not even touching the oats. I thought deer just loved oats so I am stumped. A couple hundred yards away I've got rye planted and they are hitting it really good but the oats, well they are sticking their nose up at them. What gives?? STEVE </div></div>

Your deer are weird!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gieesh! I haven't seen deer turn up there noses at any cereal grains so I really can't say. They always eat my oats to the ground!

Only thing I can think of is that the Alice is like candy to them right now....small and tender and hi protien!

Remember...they don't have a "Mom" telling them..."Now eat your vegetables first!!"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

They can eat whatever they darn well choose and they already know which food is best for them......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I have some oats, AWP, and a few soybeans in a small plot. Beans are all nipped off, the AWP and oats aren't getting touched. I just hope the AWP become attractive at some point, maybe the oats will get hit once the acorns are gone if it hasn't frosted too hard yet.

Top Bottom