Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about pines for a wind break

TimberPig

I'm planning a wind break for my house this spring, probably 40-50 evergreens in the 5' to 6' range. I know from experience that the deer are pounding my white pine seedlings that are 12" to 20".

I was thinking of using white pines for my windbreak as they are a nice looking tree and would match the white pines I planted in field windbreak next to this spot. Will deer leave the White Pines alone if they are 5'-6' tall, or will I have the same problems with them browsing off all the lower branches?
My other idea is Norway Spruce, as the deer dont bother those seedlings much. Slower to grow though and generally a little more expensive.

The deer certainly arent shy about coming up to the house.

I think the answer will vary from one situation to another depending upon a number of factors including local deer density and the availability of alternate food sources. I see lots of people who have a variety of conifers including white pine with little or no damage. On the other hand I've seen bucks rubbing the trunks on 10" diameter white pine. On my place any evergreen is in danger.
frown.gif
One thing that can help is having dogs in the yard.
grin.gif

Old Buck

I did a wind break with Redosier Dogwood, Norway Spruce, and White Pines. The dogwood and spruce are basicly untouched. The pine received little damage and have now grown to over six feet in height and seem to be holding their own against the rubs. Best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I am mostly worried about browsing damage. Not sure what I'll do yet. The deer hammered the redosier dogwoods I planted this spring also.

We shot 23 deer out of this section this fall, that will help some!

Top Bottom