Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about youth

johng9662

This will be the first year I will be going turkey hunting, and I am planning on taking my 10 yr old son along.

Question is what type of shotgun would you suggest for him to use. I am going to have to purchase one for him that he would also be able to use during deer season.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

...the Remington Express might be hard to beat...the matte finish will not scare turkeys (or deer)...the wood stock will reduce felt recoil (more than a synthetic)...also with all the add-ons available for Remingtons you can customize it pretty easily (turkey tubes, rifled barrel, etc.)...as for gauge I would suggest no smaller than 20 gauge...12 gauge if he can handle it...

I would have to say 12 guage for sure, I tried to take the better half one year and she wanted to use the 20 gauge becuase of less recoil. But when we tried to pattern it even with an extra full choke any shot more than 18 yards was not going to do the job. I would suggest an 11-87 in 12 gauge the semi-auto gives it less recoil and can be used for any hunting(deer,turkey,pheasants,rabbit,tree rats)

you can't go wrong with the 20ga, dont bum the kid out with a sore shoulder the 1st time out ,also use short brass in 7's or 8's . Let him shoot a whole box, shoot turkey head targets,check your pattern, have fun , He'll want to go every weekend til season starts, bring the calls too, practise , were talkin quality time here.......enjoy ......j.b.

If you will be hunting on weekends I'd recommend you look for private land. You would have a lot less chance of disturbance, hunt less educated birds and be safer. I would think lots of land owners would be happy to provide a spot for a 10 year old to experience his first hunt. In fact, take him along when you ask permission. It will be good experience for him also.

If you are going to hunt public land, consider evening hunts, during the week, if possible. The birds don't gobble quite as much but they will be more relaxed and you will see fewer other hunters.

Either way, go out before season and spend a few evenings with your son listening for birds flying up to roost and gobbling after sunset. It is a great way to spend some one on one time in the outdoors with no pressure to get a bird.

Glad to hear you are starting your son while he is young. The years go fast. Also take a video camera if you have one. Don't just tape the hunt. Include segments of both of you getting ready, practicing calling and discussing the hunt. You will both enjoy watching the tape and reminiscing years from now.

Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking of a 20-gauge do to his size. Plus a pump action gun for safety reasons.

My biggest concern about the season is his safety on public land. I have a private area where I deer hunt, but have never seen or heard a turkey. The lady that lives in the adjacent property says she hears and sees them all the time.

Thanks again for the responses.

I echo your concern on the safety bit. I was going to take my 7 yr old daughter with me opening day last year on public ground. In years past, I had the place to myself on weekday. Not only did 2 idiots walk through my decoys, another shot the bird I was working. He was about 65 yards away! This year I have some private land lined up for us. Also, the 20 gauge will work just fine w/ 3 inch loads. Maybe have to work the bird into 25 yards or so.

Top Bottom