Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question adout Turkeys

rookie10pt

Does windy weather affect turkeys? Or, will they still sound off in the mornings with a 5-10mph wind?

Thanks

Windy days makes it tough to hear even when they do gobble, but 5-10 and the woods should be rockin' :way:

NWBuck

Wind, especially when combined with unseasonably cool temps and damp conditions, will normally suppress gobbling activity, but 5-10 mph is not that windy. I would say that you would need 20+ before it starts to impact them much.

That being said...I have snuck quite close to gobblers on the roost while it was windy, it helps to cover your sound. They may not gobble as often when windy, but normally they still will sound off often enough early in the AM to let you know where they are.

I have hunted some extremely windy days and they still gobble fine. The problem is when the leaves are up it is very hard to hear them. I have gotten within 100 yards of birds before until I even heard them on the roost.

The only thing that I've had consistent experience with that makes them stop gobbling is if there is a big storm during the night. Seems to freak them out and the woods are always SILENT the morning after. Wind and cool weather won't have them sounding off as much but they will still gobble.

I really dislike "hunting" with strong winds. I say "hunting" because it doesn't seem to effect the "killing" of Turkeys much. It just isn't as enjoyable with the wind howling like crazy blowing over your decoys and such. I have had some great experiences getting in close to birds but you just cant beat a crisp, calm morning.

On windy days get as low and deep in the timber as you can. That's how I've had success on 20 + mph days

Top Bottom