Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for Blind Sow

scout

The last I looked at pistol regulations the wording used to describe the legal cartridges was vague and misleading. If I remember, it was " any straight wall cartridge 357 or larger" That would make alot of unintended cartridges legal. I always thought a minimum energy standard should be used. (ie; I would'nt think a 45 ACP would make a good deer gun and a 38 Special is larger than 357 caliber)
I'm looking at an encore and would like to use a 45-70 Gov. or 450 Marlin. (taper walls, yes but even the "straight walls are not straight or they could not be extracted.

The straight wall cartridge was the old language. I'm not going to list them all here but on page 5 in the deer and turkey hunting regulations and license application brochure there is a list of the centerfire handguns that will be legal to hunt deer with.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

GunnerJon, you are looking @ case length rather than bore diameter. The actual bore size is usually different than that the cartridgeis named after.

Hummm. Just checked out page 5 on the DNR site. It would be cool to smoke one with the ol' 1911. I hope they stay current and add the 450 Marlin.

A new computer for X-mas and a bathroom remodel job spells no new Encore for scout!

Hey, My Canada bear hunt is still alive! (although it may need a shot inthe arm.
grin.gif

I'm not Blind Sow....but those handgun regs are misleading....and they don't even include all the legal calibers to hunt with such as the .480 Ruger that my Dad will be using this year. How is a .38 special larger than a .357? I have shot a lot of these rounds and .38 specials have a shorter case than the .357 but are interchangeable. (I always shoot .38 specials when practicing with my .357 mag because the shells are a little cheaper, less recoil etc...) The list says that .45-70 Govt is a legal cartridge. Good luck and good hunting! Maybe Blind Sow can help you out even more.

-GunnerJon

Top Bottom