Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for Bonker

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Do we generally know the outcome of these bills by July1??

"Generally" speaking yes, BUT (and there is always a but) the answer is actually a resounding "maybe". If they didn't make a funnel this year they can be reintroduced next year. That's how the late season crossbow bill got passed a couple of years ago.

For the most part these bill should have their day on the floor so to speak where they are debated, amended if needed and either passed or rejected hopefully by May 1st.

The other wildcard here is the length of the session. The session this year was supposed to be short, keeping to the (I believe) 100 day session or even less so the legislators had more time to campaign. Then the popular thought was that this session would be another marathon based on education funding. The longer the session potentially the more stuff gets passed but it also allows for more vote bargaining i.e. you vote for my bill I'll vote for yours.

So again, the answer is a big "maybe".

The other wild card here is the Governor's power of veto. He has 10 days from the time the bill was delivered for his signature or veto to do something with the bill. So if a bill makes it to his desk on, let's say June 25th, he has until July 4th to sign it or veto it. There is also a pocket veto where if a bill is delivered with less than 10 days left in the legislative session he doesn't need to take any action on the bill, he simply puts it in his pocket.

There is also the potential for the legislature to come back in emergency session, I'm not 100% who can call that and I doubt any wildlife bill would trigger that.

So yet again a resounding "maybe". I hope you aren't waiting for passage of a bill to make plans. Could be a long wait.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Top Bottom