Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for next year's planting

Seth

I think after seeing my 1st clover plot successfully come up, my Old Man has finally bought into food plots. We have a spot picked out for next year on his farm. I want to plant some late brassica's for winter forage because the deer really winter up in his place post-shotgun.

Half of this potential plot right now is very very thick switch grass that will be burned off in the spring. The other half is existing crop field. The plot will total about one acre. My question is this: What can I plant during early spring so the deer will have a summer plot? Keeping in mind that in Mid August or so it will be mowed or tilled under to plant brassica's for the winter. Any input is helpful. Thanks!

I think I would keep the switchgrass that might be why they come there. As far as what to plant DBLTREE would be the man on that subject.

I am going to guess you'll want to plant something that fixes Nitrogen, like a clover or alf-alfa or something. Then your Brassicas will suck up the nitrogen from what I understand. Kind of like the Beans/Corn rotation. I'm not the biggest fan of brassicas BUT I'm in the minority there. *Keep the thick switch!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well the switch isn't really the exact area they winter at, it's the general vacinity. The switch is actually just kinda like a buffer strip all the way around the field maybe 10 yards wide and it's so thick not even a rabbit could walk thru it and I'm only looking at burning off about oh 5% of it, totaling 1/2 acre MAX. I might go with the clover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to guess you'll want to plant something that fixes Nitrogen, like a clover or alf-alfa or something. Then your Brassicas will suck up the nitrogen from what I understand. Kind of like the Beans/Corn rotation. I'm not the biggest fan of brassicas BUT I'm in the minority there. *Keep the thick switch!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I agree totally.

I have clover in my rye, oats and peas right now.

The rye, oats and peas will be used this winter and next spring I will till the clover under and plant brassicas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can I plant during early spring so the deer will have a summer plot? </div></div>

Oats will provide the quickest source of spring feed and you could add inexpensive berseem clover with it.

Till the whole thing under to plant your brassicas or a fall plot of field rye.

Oats and berseem are a very cheap combo that cover all bases for spring feed and late summer plowdown. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Welters will sell you berseem by the pound Berseem Clover

and some type of forage oat if possible Forage Oats

What about soybeans in the spring/summer and then till under and plant brassicas, or broadcast into standing beans? Just curious.

Seth, I've been doing a little research on food plots during my down time here and one that I think I would like to try as soon as I find a place to be able to put a plot is Biologic's, Full Draw. Here is the link: http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/default.asp?id=8&section=deer_annual

It has a blend of New Zealand Brassicas, clover, wheat, and other grains. It was made to give deer a year 'round food source from clover in the spring to the brassica's in the winter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about soybeans in the spring/summer and then till under and plant brassicas, or broadcast into standing beans? Just curious. </div></div>

Seth - This is one of the best options I have found. Just overseed the beans with fall rye or winter wheat and turnips. If theres any beans left in the winter the deer will be there for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just overseed the beans with fall rye or winter wheat and turnips. If theres any beans left in the winter the deer will be there for sure. </div></div>

Do you have any problems with the new seeds germinating because of the beans' canopy blocking too much sunlight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIRASSAULT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just overseed the beans with fall rye or winter wheat and turnips. If theres any beans left in the winter the deer will be there for sure. </div></div>

Do you have any problems with the new seeds germinating because of the beans' canopy blocking too much sunlight? </div></div>

It won't affect germination but could affect growth depending on how thick the beans are and timing of planting versus leaf drop.

Most years soybeans would be turning by very late August or the first of September, so spreading seed just as leaves are starting to turn should work fine.

It would alos be helpful if beans were row planted rather then drilled to allow sunlight a little sooner also.

This year most beans were planted very late and only a few in my area are starting to turn.

I just broadcast some rye here in mid September in to some standing beans that are still very green...I'll see what happens... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just broadcast some rye here in mid September in to some standing beans that are still very green...I'll see what happens... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I just broadcast some winter wheat from Nannyslayer into some beans. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Also put some brassicas into the corn.

Extreme NE Iowa still needs rain though.

Alright, I think I'm gonna go with the row planted beans and then follow it up with some overseeded winter wheat/brassicas. When you do the overseeding do you just broadcast them?? Or would drilling work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, I think I'm gonna go with the row planted beans and then follow it up with some overseeded winter wheat/brassicas. When you do the overseeding do you just broadcast them?? Or would drilling work? </div></div>

Just walk through the standing soybeans with a bag seeder and broadcast the seeds...pice a cake and good exercise to boot! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I heard an Iowa farmer on the radio this morning talking about using an airplane to seed rye into his corn fields for a cover crop and nitrogen fix. Pretty cool idea on a larger scale, but not much use on the 1/2 acre plots. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom