Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for the experienced.....

deeraddict

PMA Member
Question for the experienced traditional guys for some one that wants to get into it. I have always been intruigued by the traditional bows and would like to buy one in the spring or summer and learn to shoot, and eventually hunt with it. I have looked on line at the Hoyt and Marting Traditional bows, but don't know if there is one type or anither that I should choose to start with to have the best learning curve and success with.

Thanks

Visit a shop and shoot some before you buy. Google "The footed shaft" he has tons of used bows and could also steer you toward something suitable for you. recurves/longbows are similar to compounds as its in the eye of the beholder. That said, I'd buy a Black Widow!:grin:

Visit a shop and shoot some before you buy.

That's the key. If you're ever in the DSM area, check out Tom at Barefoot Traditions. He has a huge selection of new and used recurves and longbows and will string up every one in the shop for you if that's what it takes. Great guy to deal with.

Another good source for used bows are the classifieds on different trad sites.....tradgang, primitivearcher, stickbow, all have bows for sale. Next time you see a trad guy at a 3d shoot, ask him about his bow....You'll prolly get to shoot it!!!

Whatever bow you decide on, do yourself a favor, and don't "overbow" yourself!!! 45# recurves WILL kill a deer, with the right arrah and shot placement. You'll see alot of higher poundage bows for sale out there, cuz that's what they shot with trainin wheels....lol. If you shoot 65#with your compound, you'll want less than 50# for starters with a trad bow!!!

If you shoot 65#with your compound, you'll want less than 50# for starters with a trad bow!!!

VERY sound advice and surely the most common mistake made by new guys. I would've done the same thing if I hadn't been persuaded by more experienced trad guys in advance. I shoot 68# with compound at right at 50# trad. I can't see going any higher either.

All great advice! Another place to look is Ebay. Some good buys can be had on good shooting vintage bows.

VERY sound advice and surely the most common mistake made by new guys. I would've done the same thing if I hadn't been persuaded by more experienced trad guys in advance. I shoot 68# with compound at right at 50# trad. I can't see going any higher either.

That is something I would have never thought of. I would hope that any bow shop I visit for this would steer me in the right direction but you never know. I shoot 68# also on my compound. I am guessing starting out a little less than what I can handle to pull may be a good idea to get started and become comfortable at it? I would not have a problem going through a couple of different setups to find one that is effective and I am confident in. I made that mistake with the compound and had heatbreaking seasons my first couple of years out. I definately will not hunt with a recurve until I am as confident shooting it and in my limitations with it as I am with my compound.

Again, thanks for the sound advice guys, and by all means keep it coming.:D It is a long time till spring and I figure I may as well get as much info from guys in the know as I can.

Derron

I shoot 68# also on my compound. I am guessing starting out a little less than what I can handle to pull may be a good idea to get started and become comfortable at it?

Absolutely. You totally have the right mindset. My feeling about trad shooting...leave my ego at the door. Simple as that. I can hold 70+ with no problem on a compound but drop to ZERO letoff and you hold what you pull. It's a whole different beast to say the absolute minimum. You know, I can pull a 60 lb longbow, I've pulled many a 55 lb. I ended up at 50# with a bow that just "felt right". That's the other thing, I shot a large handful of bows in the same draw weight range and then I realized there was one that was made for me. And that's the one that made the trip home. Probably sounds overdramatic. Hell, it feels that way typing it but that's just the way it seems to work with this equipment. At least that's what I have found in my experience. :)

My bow is 54 @ 30 inches, so im probably pulling ~50 too. Its had plenty of umph to kill deer through the years.

Absolutely. You totally have the right mindset. My feeling about trad shooting...leave my ego at the door. Simple as that. I can hold 70+ with no problem on a compound but drop to ZERO letoff and you hold what you pull. It's a whole different beast to say the absolute minimum. You know, I can pull a 60 lb longbow, I've pulled many a 55 lb. I ended up at 50# with a bow that just "felt right". That's the other thing, I shot a large handful of bows in the same draw weight range and then I realized there was one that was made for me. And that's the one that made the trip home. Probably sounds overdramatic. Hell, it feels that way typing it but that's just the way it seems to work with this equipment. At least that's what I have found in my experience. :)

Makes perfect sense to me. :way:

I can't add anything except traditional must be "in your blood" to do well. You cannot take PC (pre-compound) notions with you and survive. I have some friends that I hunt with that have high dollar stickbows collecting dust because they could not deal with the difference in the methods. Their bowhunting could not accept missing, shorter range shooting, lower draw weights, patience waiting for a good time to draw the bow, practice and other things that go along with the game.

Definately go into it as economical as possible and obey the 3 rules, Practice, Practice, Practice!

Best wishes on your adventures.

31 years (so far) of pure fun with 2 sticks and a string :way:

Hard to explain that feeling, eh!!! I do know that if a bow doesn't feel right to you, you won't shoot it very often, or very well!!!

Next piece of advice....START CLOSE!!!!LOL

Some very good advice so far. I agree with Shovel about e-bay, there are a bunch of recurve bows on there that you can get for any where from $40 to $200 that will give you a very good idea of whether you will enjoy this conversion. There seems to be a bunch of bows in the 40 or 45 pound range in a variety of brands. Bear bows seem to bring some of the higher prices and Ben Pearson and Wing or Browning some of the lesser prices. I got a very serviceable 45 pound Ben Pearson for a little over $45 shipped and it is fun to shoot. If you get one of these older bows it will teach you a lot if you just listen. You will learn how heavy a bow you can shoot consistently and what type or shape of grip works for you.

You will need to learn how to draw with the bow out in front of you instead of across you body, like a compound. Your draw length will be shorter by doing that and your anchor will be different especially if you don't use any kind of sights. For example I anchor right below my right eye and look right down the arrow shaft as kind of a sight. Learn to draw anchor and release all in one smooth quick motion, so you don't need to hold it for 5 minutes while you line up sight pins. Get good arrows with large real feather fetching for better stabilization and arrow flight. Practice a lot and from varying ranges and go to more than a few traditional shoots to observe and converse with other participants and don't be afraid to ask questions and join in. Most traditional guys are glad for a chance to expound on their extensive knowledge.;)

Get started now because if you had started a year ago you would be well within the learning curve, and a year from now you will say I wish I had started this 2 years ago.

Great post Bowmaker. Thaks to all for the great input. I am jacked about getting in to this. I am going to start looking at ebay this weekedn, but with 4 kids christmas will have me strapped. Will have to wait till spring.

Others will be able to help with this, I'm sure, but I believe there is a big Trad gathering/3D shoot near Ames every year??? Probably lots of good vendors there, that will let you shoot a number of different new and used bows. Will also be a good source for other things "trad"....finger tab or glove, armguards, back quivers, woodies,etc. Be careful, you'll be hooked!!!!!

Top Bottom