Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

question for you photographers?

vike4life

PMA Member
Last night I sat on fence line between two bean fields bordering my hunting ground. I just knew I was going to get some pictures of the big boys I will be hunting this fall. About 7:30 the first doe showed up. As did the first skeeter. By 8pm I had two yearlings at about 20 yds with about 50 skeeters biting my eyelids, nose, cheeks, and hands. After getting a couple of shots I could take no more!!! The swatting bagan! I must have been wheezed at about 8 times in the next half hour. I finally left before prime buck time. I didn't want to spook anything else. So what do you do?? I was pretty much covered up camo pants, ghillie suit and hat, and face mask. I didn't wear gloves (I wasn't sure I could shoot pictures with them) so I expected that. But going for the eyes.. that's just down right mean.
mad.gif
What to do?????
confused.gif

Those skeeters can drive you CRAZY!! I use a fabric photo blind, that you use like a blanket. It has a sleeve for the lens and a mesh area to see thru. I purchased it thorough Rod Plank, he's a well known nature photographer. Get a copy of outdoor photographer, he usually has advertisments running in that publication. I also use spray and pay close attention to the wind! Good Luck!

Thanks fellas I'm a rookie at the picture part of it but I was getting a rush when the deer started coming out just about like hunting.

Dwags: don't you get winded by using spray?? Is there some that isn't supposed to smell?

TLH: I've seen some of Roger's work and its great so I'm not knocking the rifle stock thing. I'm just wondering what that's all about? Is it to keep steady or to make it feel like hunting, or somthing else??

Also what kind of lenses are you using to reach out there and touch them with? Thanks for the info.
Frank

vike4life,

I utilize old farm building myself, wooden corn cribs, old barns and even some abandon farm houses. Usually my biggest concern is movement so looking through a crack of crib works great and it's usually very close to the fields edge. I suspect comfort is second for me, although the older I get it's quickly moving to the top of the list.

As far as laying out in the middle of the field I seldom do this, especially this time of the year, if I do it's not in my usual hunting spots. It would be areas I am scouting or on some public ground over in the hills.

I do use a ground blind sometimes, and every once in a while I get up into a tree.

As far as the bugs go, I have never owned any of the mosquito netting although I hear it works well.

I carry two cameras, one is a Nikon mounted on a rifle stock ( thanks to Roger Hill ) and a Sony Mavica around my neck.

I like morning sessions better than evening, usually cooler, more quiet and I sit close to bedding areas waiting for animals to come back home.

Just me....good shooting!

TLH

Vike4life, Don't worry to much about your scent or bug spray's! When its 90 degrees & humid its impossible to be scent free! I'm carrying in 20 pounds of camera gear to my spots so I'm sweating excessively! Just play the wind and you'll be fine. As far as equipment, you should get a good SOLID tripod-a Gitzo w/ a Arca-Swiss ballhead is what I use. The gun stock works well for smaller lens and when your on the move alot. My gear is as follows - 2 camera bodies, Nikon F5s and a 500 f4 tele. & an 80-200 f2.8 & a 1.4 extender.
If I can make a recommendation, get a camera that allows you to lock up the mirror & get a cable release!!! There are so many times when my shots are in very low light! Locking up the mirror, just prior to taking the shot eliminates any internal vibrations, thus a good crisp image! Anyways I can talk forever about this stuff. I make my living as a pro photographer so any questions you may have, please feel free to ask anytime! Good Luck!

Im courious as to how much it would cost to get into a camera setup that would take nice pics of deer at oh say 500 yards. Is that possible?

vman, only video can capture images at that distance (expensive video cameras with interchanging lenses!) I need the animals to be within 80 yds for quality shots! and thats with a 500mm lens!

I thought I would pass along some info. I have recently learned about.... Did not even know this was possible.

It is called Digiscoping... Have anyone heard of it? The Bird watchers have been doing it for a while.... I stumbled on it while looking for a New Spotting scope.

It consist of using a a spotting scope, and Digital camera, and Digiscope adapter.

They have been using the Nikon coolpix 995 digital camera.

Here is a web site that can tell you more about it, and they also sell everything for it.
It is not cheap, But it is another way to reach out and capture some great pictures.

I can see getting into this as well....

www.digiscoping.biz

and

www.eagleoptics.com

Top Bottom