Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question/need ideas

turtlshell

PMA Member
i have a spot in a thin creek bottom that is surrounded by several hundred acres of crops. In the past the ground around the bottoms has been kept mowed down all season, but this year it was left to grow, and boy did it ever grow. The grasses in the bottoms are so thick I don't think deer will walk through them. in the past there have been several trails going through the bottoms but this year it looks like those trails are all gone. The only evidence of deer trails I came across were from field to field and along the field edges.

what has been your experience with deer movement regarding overly thick vegetation. Do they move through it, around it, relocate? When the crops are harvested it will help knock some of this grass down, but I'm not sure it will be enough.

There aren't any suitable trees for a stand within bow range of where i saw the trails between the fields last weekend...and my treestand is at least 80yds from those trails.

anyway any help or advice would be appreciated. I have a small plan, but wanted IW input, too.

I would think they would move into it once it gets colder. I know I wouldn't want to be hanging out in really tall grass throughout the summer. However, that tall grass will probably act as a wind breaker so they may start to bed in it.

Take a machete and cut some trails that are convienient to your set up. I bet they will start using them within a week or 2. I had a secluded foodplot that I couldn't replant this year. It was overgrown with head high weeds. I cut 2 trails that worked for my treestand on August 20th, now they look like cow paths.

Personally I would leave it alone. It will take patience, but once the crops are gone and the rut is kickin they will use the bottom where your stand is. If anything it will provide them with much needed cover when the crops are out. I bet you'll be surprised come rut what it looks like. If you absolutely can't leave it alone until then, by all means make some trails, but I always err on the side of caution. Less intrusion the better. Ultimately your call though.

Any way to utilize the tall vegetation for any ground blind type setups ?? An inside corner with yourself tucked into the tall grass may be a decent ambush spot (especially if you integrate it with cut trails and/or existing trails) ??

I agree. mow or cut paths or take an atv through it several times to knock the stuff down and make trails that way.

Getting a few paths through it I believe will work and they will use it. Once the crops are out and it gets cold they may move into it more as well. I know I have walked past many a deer while pheasant hunting in tall stuff and they don't even move until you are past them.

i agree mow paths.. we usually mow paths to our stands so we can sneak into them and stop mowing 20 yards from the stand and just mow by it so the deer follow the path and dont end up below you.

Top Bottom