Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on depredation tags

CamoMan

A landowner friend of mine told me today that a DNR guy was out to his property this week, and told him that he should take up to 30 does off his property this year, and again next year. I've hunted this ground in the late season, and there are a ton of deer on the ground. My question is this - how do these depredation tags work? It sounds like they cost $12 each, and the landowner has to register who will be using them. Are the tags good for all seasons, and are there weapon restrictions (example: can a muzzleloader be used when only archery season is open)? I know they are antlerless only, but if you could answer my questions above, that would be helpful. He is going to try to get some info this next week, but I figured several of you are familiar with these tags and the rules that go with them. Thanks !

They may have changed it some but I they could be used in any season or weapon.
I neighbor just got 30 tags (got 35 last year)and he didn't even apply for them this year?

You have to pick a season you want to use it for. It doesn't count against county quotas or against your quota of tags you can get.
I have 30 for my farm for the 3rd year in my program this year. It is great for the deer herd and the habitat! We have harvested 106 antlerless deer in two years time. The population is now in check!

T$

They are for a specific season/method in increments of 10 licenses per season. I think you can only get them for three years running, then you are supposed to have an "alternate plan". Maybe they have changed things since I inquired three years ago. Between the application and reporting required, I found it easier to go buy county antlerless over the counter, as long as the county quota holds out.

Is there anyway to find out who has depradation tags in your area? I'd be willing to help a farmer out if he's relatively close to home. I suppose though, if they made available those who have tags their phones might ring off the hook with people wanting to hunt.

Hey Camo,

Landowners who are eligible for these have to get application sheets from the DNR. Once you find such a landowner, you get a sheet from them that allows you to apply for up to 3 depredation tags per landowner. The application has to go through the mail and takes a couple of weeks for the actual tags to reach you. You can get them from several landowners if you want to, but each tag costs $12. For each tag, you will have to designate a specific season. They do allow you to hunt seasons you wouldn't ordinarily be able to. For example, I bought one for early muzzleloader, despite the fact that I won't purchase my any deer gun license for that season. They are a great deal...I got my first 3 in the mail already and expect the next three within the week. In addition, they are great for landowner relations. I took 5 does with these tags last year, and the farmers whose ground I was on were anxious to have me get more again this year. Good luck
waytogo.gif

NWBuck

Top Bottom