Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on what to do.

bennycrum

I have been hunting the same buck all season and saw it for the fourth time tonight. It was chasing a doe and was on its way by at about 35 yards when i shot. I think i hit it in the rear hip.(yea i know a horrible shot but i guess the fever combined with the deer jolting forward got the best of me. We found a decent blood trail consisting of light watery blood as well as a chunk of bone bigger than a quarter in the first hundred yards. What is ur take on when to look for it and what are the odds of finding it dead. Any imput would be appreciated.

Sounds like you hit muscle and his leg bone by his hip. Not a promising kill but whenever you get a broadhead in a deer you never know what will happen.

I would give him a lot of time for sure. Maybe go after him tommorow morning. Just be ready while tracking to make a follow up shot. Go slow like your still hunting and go by yourself. If you have no luck after tracking the deer and lose blood than I would then get help from others.

Not great odds in finding him but I've seen wierder things happen.

Good luck and keep us informed.

There is a main artery in a deer's ham. If you lucked out and hit that artery, he will not be far. But if the blood is watery, not likely you hit it. I have seen 2 deer shot in the hams that did not make it out of sight, due to having a cut artery in their leg. Good luck finding him, and like TallTines said, when you look for him, be ready for a follow up shot.

I went out and looked this morning with no avail. I found very little blood for the first hundred yards or so and then another couple of drops another hundred yards away. Then nothing. What is the chance he will survive with a shot in the leg. I know chances of finding him are slim to none so i now hope that he doesnt die. Is this type of injury survivable or will he probably die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullseyeben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went out and looked this morning with no avail. I found very little blood for the first hundred yards or so and then another couple of drops another hundred yards away. Then nothing. What is the chance he will survive with a shot in the leg. I know chances of finding him are slim to none so i now hope that he doesnt die. Is this type of injury survivable or will he probably die. </div></div>

Real hard to say but if an animal can survive something like that it's a mature whitetail deer. But it sounds like you busted his leg and if it doesn't get infected I would think he could survive.

I have seen deer survive amazing stuff... A buddy of mine bowkilled a 150 10pt. When he took it to the taxidermist, the guy called another buddy up and says bring your video tapes over I found your buck from last year. Well, the year before a guy shot this same buck, shot it high and a little back. Then had it come into his feeder a week later with his arrow stuck out of its side; on video. 3miles and a 10months later my buddy caught him crossing a road and that was the end.

I wouldnt be suprised if in a week or two you see your buck chasing does.

Dean

Top Bottom