Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on youth deer season

CamoMan

I can't find my deer season booklet from this year, so I'll ask someone here: If my 11 year old son plans to hunt late muzzleloader season this year with me, is he also able to hunt during the youth season? He will have an any-sex tag during the late season hunt. He also plans to bowhunt with me, but I don't think that shouldn't matter in regard to what gun tags he is allowed. Thanks in advance for your help !

Pretty sure that if he gets a youth season tag he cannot get any regular-season firearms tag...including late muzzleloader. An option you might think about is getting him the youth season tag and then buying a county antlerless tag for him for late muzzleloader. He'd only be able to take a doe in the late season, but at least he'd still be able to hunt. You are right that his bow tag isn't effected.

NWBuck

Here is the wording on page 8 of the Iowa Fall Deer & Turkey Hunting Regs and License Inst.

"The youth hunter may also purchase one statewide deer license for the Bow Season or any of the firearms seasons, plus any Anterless-Only licenses that may be available."

Thanks for the input, guys. My son will be 12 this spring, and he will have completed a hunter safety course by fall. However, even as I typed in the original question, I was wrestling with whether I should give him chances to shoot up to 3 deer this year. I want to make sure he really appreciates the hunt, and doesn't get caught up in filling his tag(s). I know that much of the teaching, examples and influence will come from me, but if he were to shoot 2 or even 3 deer this year, I'm afraid it might mess with his thinkin' a bit.

I dunno . . . I love the time I spend with my kids, and I really love taking Taylor along as my main hunting buddy, but I'm not sure how much is enough. The number of deer we bring home isn't the issue, because we process our own, and have plenty of people who love the meat. I'm mostly just thinking out loud here, but I would welcome input from others, including those who hunt with their kids. Thanks.

First of all, congratulations on being a dad that takes his son hunting and thinks about his needs first!
wink.gif

I would let your son dictate how much he wants to go with you and take him as long as he is having fun with it. The colder seasons could be a little unfriendly to a youngster too.

I take my now 10 year old son with me fairly often and it is a joy each time. I think he may be coming to the place where I will get him a tag this year.

Top Bottom