Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

question

jharrell

I have a P41 and BG2 setup and it seems that a lot of the pictures are blank because the animal is walking out of the picture before it takes. Quite a few are just blank. This happens day or night even if the camera is facing due north. Any ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of the pictures are blank because the animal is walking out of the picture before it takes. Quite a few are just blank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get a leg or butt in the pic so that your sure it's a timing issue?

I don't have mine set up on a trail so I haven't really tested it but my Moultrie is known for slow trigger speed, so I set it up 45 degrees to a trail to give it time to detect and go off.

I get tons of "bird and rabbit pics" with my P-41 because it's set up over corn but I haven't had any missed shots of deer.

Curious what others have to say?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a P41 and BG2 setup and it seems that a lot of the pictures are blank because the animal is walking out of the picture before it takes. Quite a few are just blank. This happens day or night even if the camera is facing due north. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

The daytime misses are concerning. I would easily believe the night "misses" could likely be the board outsensing the effective flash range, particularly in cold temps. You may be able to sense upwards of 100' right now with your components and of course the flash ain't gonna make near that. About the only way to help that out is to either reduce the sensitivity setting and/or use a photo enhancing software to reveal animals in the background which is always a good idea anyway. Maybe you're already doing that though I don't know. Still though, misses in the light of day seem odd for a P41. You can't get much faster trigger time. Setting up real close to a trail and shooting directly across it is the only way I could even begin to imagine a P41 missing many shots.

Try setting it 45 degrees to the trail and see how it does. Another thing, you may have a mis-aligned fresnel lens. That can really mess things up.

Is the bg2 on fast pic mode...I think the dip switch settings are both set to off on the day/night selection

Do you have the right settings for the P41?
Did you test it before to see what kind of trigger speed you were getting?

I have the same setup and I get trigger times just under 2 seconds, if that helps. Empty pics are pretty rare, but I do get a few headless shots if the cam is aimed straight across the trail and the trail is real close to the camera.

If you are using a BG2 from the order Rack placed I would test the board completely. He forwarded one of them to me and it was not working properly. Hags replaced it and all has been well since. I forget what my issues where now but there is a thread at Hag concerning it and another that where acting alike. The first batch they sent out had one component out of tolerance and it ready reduced the effective triggering and distance of the board. I believe that was complete dealt with in the first couple of months of production. Feel free to call when you are testing it.

Thanks guys. We are getting some shots of the back half of a deer but other perfect shots. I would say 1/3 have nothing in them. The camera is set correctly. This is the only one out of the three we built that seems to get more empty shots. The dip switches are at normal but the other one I have is at fast trigger which doesn't seem to miss a thing. Maybe we should try it at the fast setting to see what it does. Iron this is the set you are talking about but the bad board we had didn't work at all. This one seems to test okay but it takes longer for the shutter to open and take the first picture. Once it is open it seems to take just fine. It appears it is the first picture that we miss everything. I'm thinking of maybe a stop sign or something.
grin.gif

Make sure the settings in the camera are set right. They can really make a difference in trigger speed

Top Bottom