Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question

shedhunter8

PMA Member
Sorry if this has been asked before, My question is, is there any rules,regulations or programs here in Iowa that would allow you to plant a very small percentage of a farms crp land into a foodplot? thanks in advance

It's been so long I forget the % but yes you can plant a certain amount of your CRP acreage in foodplots. I think it's 10%?

Stop by your NRCS office and they will take care of you!
waytogo.gif

Unless it varies by county or something like that, it is 10% of your CRP acres that you can plant to food plots. Dbltree already mentioned the NRCS office, I second that. You can clarify this question but you will also likely have to revise your conservation plan and specify where your food plots will be on an aerial map, etc.

Also, a key thing I learned in the past 6 months... you can plant clover and alfalfa, provided you do not harvest/bale it of course, on all of your CRP acres. So that can really expand your options. Again, check this with your NRCS office.

Good advise, the maximum is 10% of your CRP acres for food plots. You will also set up a "Mid Contract Management" agreement where you can set up to plant switch grass or wild flowers for cover or there are also some other programs with cost share available right now for your CRP acres. I just completed planting 5 acres of trees and received 75% cost share for it. Have fun and take advantage of the cost share programs while they are available.

My food plot acres are capped at 5 acres even though I have over 100 in the program. So my advice would be to check first. Plant second.

[ QUOTE ]
My food plot acres are capped at 5 acres even though I have over 100 in the program. So my advice would be to check first. Plant second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I think there is a maximum amount which might be under the 10% if you had 500 acres for instance.

I would also add that often none of this is closely monitored except during a signup or re-enrollment. (at least in my area
smirk.gif
)

On one farm we have 97 acres in CRP and they only let 1.34 acres go into foodplot and it had to be planted by May 15th. I'm not sure on if the stipulations change from county to county so I would be sure to check with your local office.

Top Bottom