Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question

180class

My 12 year old nephew wants to tag along with me turkey hunting this year. He won't be hunting, he just wants to sit with me. Does he need a license?

If he is just along for the ride and observing the hunt, no, no license is required. Where it could cross over for you though is if he "participates in the hunt". That could be as simple as you handing him your box call and letting him scratch out a few notes. Suppose he goes on to call in a bird that you shoot, someone could see that situation as crossing the line to him participating in the hunt, etc.

Personally, I would take him and I suspect that he will love it and want to know what he has to do so he can hunt himself next time.

If he is just along for the ride and observing the hunt, no, no license is required. Where it could cross over for you though is if he "participates in the hunt". That could be as simple as you handing him your box call and letting him scratch out a few notes. Suppose he goes on to call in a bird that you shoot, someone could see that situation as crossing the line to him participating in the hunt, etc.

Personally, I would take him and I suspect that he will love it and want to know what he has to do so he can hunt himself next time.

That's all true, but doesn't he have to be 16 in order for that to qualify.

I can't imagine even the most anal CO having a problem with anything short of him actually doing the shooting without a license. If there is one out there who would cite you for a technicality involving introducing a 12 yo to hunting by allowing him to tag along, their name needs to be made public... and I'll pay your fine.

Take him hunting & have fun. :way:

What if your taking a kid to hunt youth season? Do you have to buy your tags in order to take them or just a hunting license?

You have to have a turkey tag for one of the spring seasons and a hunting license / habitat to take a youth during the youth season. Makes no sense to me why the adult must have a regular season turkey tag for themselves to take a youth during the youth season when the youth has to have a tag as well.

From the regs.

Youth Turkey Hunting Season (Residents Only)
Hunters younger than 16 years old on the day they purchase a license may participate in the Youth Turkey Season. The Youth Wild Turkey License will cost $24.50 and will be a combination gun/bow license valid statewide. The youth does not have to have a Hunting License or have completed a hunter education course in order to participate. A Youth Season License is good for the Youth Season only and cannot be used in any other season.
Youth hunters must be under the direct supervision of an adult mentor while hunting during the Youth Season. The mentor must have a valid Wild Turkey License for one of the spring seasons, a valid Hunting License, and have paid the Habitat Fee if the adult is normally required to have them to hunt. The mentor must not carry a bow or firearm and must be in the direct company of the youth at all times. There may be no more than one youth with each properly licensed adult mentor. The youth and mentor must comply with all spring turkey hunting regulations.
A youth who resides with and is a member of a family of a landowner or tenant who is eligible for a Landowner-Tenant Wild Turkey Hunting License may obtain a Landowner-Tenant License for the Youth Season. The Landowner-Tenant Youth License will count as the one Landowner-Tenant Wild Turkey Hunting License the landowner or tenant family is entitled to for the spring turkey seasons.
Youth hunters may obtain one additional Gun/ Bow license for Season 4, or one Archery-only license. Hunters that are eligible for the Youth Season, but choose not to participate, may obtain two licenses for the regular spring turkey seasons like any other hunter.

Last edited:
Central Iowa said:
You have to have a turkey tag for one of the spring seasons and a hunting license / habitat to take a youth during the youth season. Makes no sense to me why the adult must have a regular season turkey tag for themselves to take a youth during the youth season when the youth has to have a tag as well.

Thanks, I guess I will be buying a couple tags this week.

I agree Central Iowa. Sometimes I want to wait to see how the weather is before I buy a tag but you have to choose early in order to get the youth tag.

Top Bottom