Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question?

180class

My 14 year old nephew wants to tag along and just sit with me tonight while I try to kill a turkey. Does he need a hunting license and a 3rd season tag just to tag along and watch?

Your good. He just can't help with the hunt.

Yep, the key is that the non-licensed hunter cannot "participate in the hunt". Just be aware that some CO's interpret that to mean that the non-licensed hunter cannot call game, drive/push game or do anything other than observe.

In reality, there are scores of hunters these days that take non-licensed cameramen into the blind/treestand with them, and they are fine.

Had a co tell me that you cannot even point out deer or turkey to a hunter if you are not licensed. Called to check on tagging along 1st season to video my father in law. They do it on TV all the time. Just depends on the co.

I called for myself to video friends, they told me I at least needed a hunting license, but not a tag for the season. Call your local CO to verify

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he don't need a license till he is 16. So he can go with, call, and assist in anyway he wants, just can't shoot it for you.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he don't need a license till he is 16. So he can go with, call, and assist in anyway he wants, just can't shoot it for you.

Interesting...after double checking the regs, I think you may be right and what you are bringing to light may be the trump card. (Refer to page 9 of this years Iowa DNR Regulation pamphlet.)

From the DNR publication...
All Participants Must be Licensed - All participants in a hunt must be properly licensed and have paid the appropriate fees. Participation includes, but is not limited to, handling firearms or ammunition during the hunt, trying to attract
game, driving, flushing, or locating game, and working dogs.

The following persons do not need a Hunting License and/or pay certain fees:
1a) Residents under 16 years old who hunt under the direct supervision of their properly licensed parent, guardian, or other competent adult with the consent of the parent or guardian do not need a Hunting License or pay the Habitat or Migratory Game Bird fee. One properly licensed adult must accompany each unlicensed hunter under 16 years old.

Top Bottom