Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question????????

blake

Life Member
I am not really sure what it is called, but I have in the past seen what I think is called a cable saw????? Two metal loops on each end too put your fingers in to saw with, maybe 3 foot long, maybe less?

If anyone knows what I am talking about, do you know where I can purchase one?

I use one myself Blake, you can buy them at different places. I know Cabela's carries them, but I bought mine at Menards in C.R. I would guess most similiar places carry them though. Works great for the pelvic bone!!!!!!!
CRITR

PVC Cable Saw! I used to use one all the time when I was a plumber, guess it would woork on deer. It uses the heat from friction to melt the PVC, Should still work on deer though.

Thanks, Chad!
smile.gif

Are you using it for the pelvic bone? I can't remember the last time I split the pelvis on a deer....maybe 15 years ago. I found a way to open them up and get the backside out of them without much effort and very reduced chance of cutting into the nasty stuff. If interested, let me know and I will try and video the next time I field dress and show you how I get the inards out without splitting the pelvis.

That sounds like an invitation do field dress my pig for me come February.
grin.gif
Seriously though, love to see it, do the video thing if you get a chance.
CRITR

[ QUOTE ]
Are you using it for the pelvic bone? I can't remember the last time I split the pelvis on a deer....maybe 15 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this! I field dress all my deer (and seems like all of my hunting buddies deer
frown.gif
) with an Old Hickory brand model Ontario 615. It's a double blade folder given to me by my late daughter. The blades are narrow and about 4 inches long. I "rim the vent". I stand over the deer, facing the direction it came from, then put it's back legs behind mine so that the rear is tilted up. Cut around the skin around the anus. Gently pull the anus out while you cut around the tissue that connects it to the pelvic "tube". A four inch blade will usually cut it free enough that it will pull back through the pelvis in later steps. It isn't a bad idea to carry a short section of string to tie off the anus so it does not loose anything as you pull it back through the pelvis later.
It's a good idea to save this as a last step to prevent contamination of the meat.

I adopted this after seeing people get injured trying to hack through the pelvis with knives, hammering on them, etc. Thought there had to be a better way.
I also don't split the ribs. I feel for the sternum (the cartilage tab at the end of the rib cage), then cut in below there. Cutting in right here should give you access to the diaphragm. I then cut the diaphragm so I can reach up and grab the heart with one hand while reaching up with my small knife in the other hand and cutting the heart and lungs free. As you pull the heart and lungs back, you will need to finish cutting the diaphragm loose and other attachments on the spine side as you pull the intestines out. Here is a good time to free the "vent" if you haven't done it. With practice, you will learn the amount of force it takes to pull the rectum through the pelvis so you will know if you need to do more cutting to allow it to pull free.

Gosh, a lot of typing. Hope I answered the question.

Ditto to what JNRBRONC just said...I will try and get a video of the process if I can later in the season

Another thought.... I have read and have adopted the philosophy that cutting bone while butchering deer is bad. Spreading bone "saw dust" and bone marrow across the meat does not enhance it's flavor (IMO). I went to complete boning of deer years ago (cut the meat off the bone without sawing through bones). Today's CWD concerns will also support such measures (also IMO).

The name of the saw I was looking for is a Zip Cable Saw as one of the moderators pointed out to me.
smile.gif

And no I don’t want it for cutting the pelvic bone during field dressing.

I would be interested in seeing the video.

Seems like it might be a little easier in the field.

But if you butcher your own deer doesn't this create a problem later? If you quarter the deer hanging and hack away at the quarters on a table aren't you going to have to cut the pelvis and even more to have quarters to bone out? Or do you just debone meat hanging on the whole deer???

This is the one I use and with the plastic tip on the end it doesn't puncture anything. Have tried about every other way and this is the best for me for the pelvic bone and the sternum.

field saw

Actually, I've done it both way on different deer. Regardless, you have to cut around the anus, I just don't like poking my knife around it no knowing what I'm poking into. The zip saw has worked pretty well for me in the past, and you don't have to worry about poking the bladder with it. Everyone has a different method for what they do, but I always have an ear open for different ideas.
CRITR

I bought a small Gerber compact saw a couple of years ago. It has easily interchangeable wood and bone blades. Carries nicely in my backpack and is a favorite of mine when it's time to split the pelvic bone. Also comes in handy to trim small branches from the stand.

NWBuck

I use the "Zip Saw" bought it at Galyans, works great,i can zip open that pelvic bone in 30 seconds,with a nice clean cut(no sharp bone edges).I would suggest it if you can find one.

NWBuck, Deadeye - have either of you had troubles with the Gerber wood saw blade? I have that saw, and I really like it. However, the wood blades have both bent when I was trimming branches. I wasn't using it for heavy duty stuff, but they bent rather quickly. I am going to contact Gerber - but I do like the bone saw blade a lot.

Top Bottom