Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Questionable Hit

tmule88

Okay guys I'm worried sick and can't sleep. Tonight I hit a good buck right through the middle of the neck halfway between the shoulder and head with a 2 bladed rage at 10 yards from 20 ft. up. I saw him go 80 yards with quite a bit of blood the first 10 yards then backed out. Is he dead?

Yes he is dead if you hit him in the middle of the neck. People used to shoot does in the neck a lot. Some still do. Good job backing out. You'll get him tomorrow

I guess maybe my last post is a little too positive. I'd say in the middle of the neck with 2" of blade, your chances are good. Could be an exception though.

Hey Tyler. Good chance he's down but also tons of muscle that bleeds good in the neck and may not be fatal. If You hit anything vital (carotid/jugular) he's down fast. If not, may have to track and hope get another arrow in him. Bring your bow. Good luck!

Had a buddy shoot one like that several years ago and shot him two weeks later during our gun season fully healthy with a cross on both sides of neck so if you dont find him there is a chance he made it good luck

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Good luck finding him. There's a good possibility that he's done, but you never know.

What color was the blood? I shot a doe in the neck a few years ago and the blood was a BRIGHT red almost pink color. Needless to say she did not make it far. Good call backing out and good luck finding him! I like your chances.

I would say if you didn't see him go down ( assuming you either hit an artery or didn't) then he is pry still kicking. Shot a doe in the neck after my arrow deflected couple yrs back, she made it 30 yds and blood was spraying out like a water spout. Not sure what else would be lethal in the neck. Especially if he was a larger buck, the muscles and mass in that neck, front shoulder region would make a guy think he's probably still alive. Good luck though, keep us posted.

Had very good bright red muscle blood for 1000 yards until he came to a pasture and ran out. Grid searched area with no luck. Arrow never recovered either. Bad deal and makes me sick!

If he went that far with a neck shot, I'm thinking he's fine. In the neck should either be a fairly quick kill or no kill. Probably worth looking some more and definitely let the neighbors know to keep an eye out.

LYON said:
If he went that far with a neck shot, I'm thinking he's fine. In the neck should either be a fairly quick kill or no kill. Probably worth looking some more and definitely let the neighbors know to keep an eye out.

X2!! Keep looking for him!

Top Bottom