Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Questionable shot...?

cjgarrett

Alright guys I never expected to be back on here making another thread worrying about a shot.... But one of my buddies asked if he could sit in one of my stands tonight due to the lack of deer on his place. He has been a good friend and hunting buddy since we were in grade school. I agreed and put him in a stand that has not been hunted all year due to the wind conditions that it must be hunted in. It sits down in a valley with a big block of cedars 40 yards to the south, crp to the east, hardwood draw to the north and houses close by to the west. I really like to hunt it on a NW wind in the evening because the wind swirls when it comes in the valley causing scent to blow back out to the NE. So tonight the wind was right and i put him in the stand at 3:00. Right at 4:30 he calls me telling me he smoked a giant. After a short conversation i realized that it was a buck the i nick named "Handful" He is a tight racked buck with more points than you can count. Probably a 7 year old deer but never grew out of his small frame. He has 8 points on his left and 6 on his right, and that is main frame. Multiple stickers throughout. It will be the biggest buck he has killed by 35 inches. We tracked him tonight for 85 yards before we lost blood and light. The blood was bright red and seemed to be lung blood. But there wasn't alot of it. It was a clean pass through and the arrow doesn't have tons of blood on it. No guts or fat, just limited blood. We are going back in the morning to look for him but i am unsure of the shot placement. He claims he double lunged him, could it just be a high lung shot? Any thoughts would help.

I don't like the fact that the arrow looks the way you describe, but hard to say. He may have shot high, above the spine, and that would give you similar sign. Any pics of the arrow?

No pics of the arrow, we left it at last blood. I was concerned about the arrow too, but i shot a doe this year and my arrow was almost spotless. I double lunged her and she only went 35 yards. I think that with the speed of bows and smaller veins on arrows its not as much drag going through the deer...? And yes the blood was ok when we had the blood trail. Bleeding out of both sides and almost looked like he was bleeding out of his mouth too. Found blood on high twigs and stuff

Thats what i was thinking too. But i didnt think he would go as far as he has gone. He did crash into a fence on his exit. Leaving white hair all over the place and he was running through the middle of cedar trees and off the trail. Death run?

I shot one last week center from top to bottom but about three inches back from heart good blood at first he fell twenty yards I left an came back he wasn't there where I seen him fall but he was thirty yards fill up with blood on inside. Two blade rage, not much on them. I think you have a dead deer. Good luck.

I shot a doe last week that left a marginal blood trail where I thought I should have had a good one. The shot was good and I knew I had a clean pass through, as the arrow was laying right about where I hit it. Good blood on the arrow, should be a quick recovery...

When I found her I discovered that a couple globs of fat had plugged the exit wound pretty much completely. Ahaa, that explained the poor blood trail I guess. She went about 75 yards in all.

Your buck sounds like a dead one to me. I suspect you will find him in the AM.

I sure hope so. He means a lot my dad killed one just like him four years ago biggest one off the farm ever but lost the mount in house fire had him on camera the past two years he is like a ghost until rut. So trying to catch him while time seems to look good.

Sounds like a dead deer to me. One I shot on oct 6th was back of lungs and we jumped him next morning and I found him dead that afternoon. Ended up shot clipped back of both lungs and he survived a day. Amazing animals. Keep after it you will find him!

Top Bottom