Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quick question from a NR

Casper16k

Obviously Im new here, but I have a question. I hunt southern WI and the deer herd has been desimated with the unlimited Earn-a-buck regulations in the CWD area. My family is looking to buy some land and I was thinking Iowa would be the perfect area for some great hunting. I was wondering if there are any ways around Non-resident drawing system, I dont want to be able to hunt the property once out of every two or three years if you know what I mean. Is it still possible to live in WI and still get resident tags in IA? I know there is always buffalo county in WI but everything is too expensive to lease because of the outfitters and to buy some its going to cost atleast 4,000 an acre. Thanks

you sir, are as they say, SOL. Unless you can lobby the Iowa Bowhunter's Assoc. to let up on NR's, you are only going to get a buck tag every 2 or 3 years. That or become a celebrity and get a governor's tag. that seems to be the most popular way around it if your last name is Primos, Jordan or Drury.

You can't find places to hunt in Southern Wisconsin? My god man, there's places to hunt everywhere. The herd being cut down has improved the herd. Sure, you won't see 40 or 50 deer a day like you used to, but if you have patience, you'll see quality.

Welcome to the site! great hunters lurk here!!!

you have to be a resident in Iowa to get a resident tag. dual residency is illegal.

you can hunt does every year if you want!

there is no way around the draw system as a NR.

Good Luck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it still possible to live in WI and still get resident tags in IA? I know there is always buffalo county in WI but everything is too expensive to lease because of the outfitters and to buy some its going to cost atleast 4,000 an acre.</div></div>

Welcome to the site!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

party hunitng is legal in iowa during gun seasons. Buy an antlerless tag and hunt with a group from Iowa. There is a way around the draw for NR.

Thanks for the welcomes and the responses.

In reply to you KNelson; I have plenty of land to hunt. But when gun seasons go from oct 13-21 and nov 17-dec 9, there arent going to be very many deer around anymore. And it might have improved the herd in the beginning but not anymore. Im not allowed to shoot a doe anymore because there are so few in a couple of the areas anymore.

being a nr landowner myself, you are on the wrong site if you are looking for advice on how to beat the system. Welcome to Iowa now leave! and dont come back till after deer season!

i dont see why us iowans get so worked up. were hunting an animal. i know all of you want big racks and all that blah blah blah. but its just a fun sport. dont get so worked up. let people pay thousands of dollars to hunt a 1000 acres. me and my son will have fun hunting our back 80 til the day i die. hunting is suppose to be something fun. not something to get so worked up over. i know most of the people on this site are really good people and could care less. but there IS some who really take this stuff wwwwaaayyyy too serious. hunting season is almost over, im ready to snag some SPOONBILLS!!!!!!

The reason I take it so seriously is because I have lost three farms the past 2 years to NR hunters who come back 1 out of every 3 or so years! These same farms I used to be able to hunt (along with around 6 other people), total over 2,000 acres. Now, I can't hunt any of it. It is frustrating to see ground that you have grown up hunting your ass off on get sold to someone who is going to shoot 1-2 deer every 3 years, let alone not let me hunt! It's also horrible for the deer herd, as a giant sanctuary has been created! My complaints about issues like this go on and on, but i'm just going to shutup and bite my tongue. I am not lucky enough like you to have a "back 80".

Well thats why I wanted to ask if there was a way to get a tag every year. I dont have any intention to steal someone elses land that they hunt on. No reason to be rude to me for any reason. I had a simple question, thats it.

Maybe I'll move in with Lee and Tiffany to hunt /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I was not being rude to you in any way. I was just stating why I take NR's and hunting in Iowa so seriously. I'm not sure if there are any loopholes which would allow you to get a tag every year. I sincerely hope that there is not, for the sake of hunting in Iowa. You may think I am being greedy, but I feel that I am just trying to prevent Iowa becoming the next Illinois.

I'm not trying to offend you. I am just passionate about the future of hunting here in Iowa! Welcome to the site!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sureshot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was not being rude to you in any way. I was just stating why I take NR's and hunting in Iowa so seriously. I'm not sure if there are any loopholes which would allow you to get a tag every year. I sincerely hope that there is not, for the sake of hunting in Iowa. You may think I am being greedy, but I feel that I am just trying to prevent Iowa becoming the next Illinois.

I'm not trying to offend you. I am just passionate about the future of hunting here in Iowa! Welcome to the site! </div></div>

Well said, couldnt agree more.

I guess if I had $200'000 in the bank I could have a little back 80 too,but I am just working guy trying to raise a family. I started bowhunting when I started losing more ground to leases during the mid 80's and 90's when NR's were swarming Iowa to pheasant hunt.Where are all the phesants now? Now the samething is happening to the resident deerhunter.I lost a great farm I had hunted for 15 years to a lease and when I offered to lease the farm also I could not give the same dollars a lawyer could.I guess if Wisconsin's DNR would have done the same job as we have in Iowa you would not be wanting to hunt here which is not my problem as a resident.I am just looking out for myself and my son's future at being able to hunt this great state.I guess if it is that important to NR's to hunt here,move here,become a resident,get a job,pay taxes and help the state economy.Ok I will get off my soapbox.

Hey guys...hunting season is still going on.

We always have a great NR debate in the middle of January around here. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Get to your treestand and good luck! Ha /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We always have a great NR debate in the middle of January around here. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Get to your treestand and good luck! Ha /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Casper16k

Here is the problem as I see it. You are new here but your first post is one asking how to get arround a regulation, which most of us on here support, for your own personal gain or gratifacation. I don't mean this to be rude or hostle in any way, but more informational. Your comments about not wanting to only be able to hunt the property every two or three years and looking for a way arround the NR draw system is both inaccurate and offensive to us, the residents who have supported the DNR's regulations that have given us better deer hunting than you DNR's regs have given you. First you CAN hunt the property each and every year as long as you are willing to buy the licenses for anterless deer. Your inaccurate statement actually meant that you want to shoot bucks every year, so to me that means that you don't care about or see any value in hunting does only.

The second thing is Iowa's DNR must be doing a pretty good job with the deer hunting and the regulations guarding it, or else why would you even consider buying land here? I also believe that there is a difference in the way Wisconsin and Iowa regulate and protect their deer herds. Thank goodness that we haven't seen the problems with CWD that Wisconsin has, but I think that at least part of that is due to our regulations on things like baiting and game farms, more of the regulations that we here support. The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it does pretty much hold true reguarding Iowa's deer hunting program, and especially with the NR regualtions. If it weren't a little harder to get to hunt here, then the hunting wouldn't be good enough to make you even want to wait 3 years to hunt here instead of your own home state.

I guess that you know the rules and are considering buying land any way, so I would ask that you respect the rules enough to not try to find a "Way arround the NR drawing system". I know that it is a general trend in our society to try to get arround the laws we don't agree with or to think they should only apply to everyone else, but that attitude has never served us very well now has it?

I know this may sound hypocritical but I support the regulation with the drawing for NR. I wish Wisconsin had your guys' DNR. I want to own land in Iowa someday, but the thing is I dont want to move away from all of my family around here. I was asking the question because I thought it was pointless to buy land there if I could only hunt it every two or three years for bucks. Yes, I would shoot does off of it every year, but like everyone else I want a crack at an old wise mature buck. I dont want to have someone else tag a buck for me either with party hunting. I've shot three does this year in WI, so its not like I just want to shoot bucks. I completely believe in QDM and I want to be able to do it on a piece of property that I can control. If I offended anyone I apologize, had no intention behind it.

I guess Im going to have to move to Iowa if I want to own land there someday.

fatboy said:
I guess if I had $200'000 in the bank I could have a little back 80 too,but I am just working guy trying to raise a family.

200,000 in the bank HAHA. im 22 years old. my bank account probably has 20 bucks in it. luckily enough my grandparents own land and i dont have to worry about that. but i also non resident hunt in illinois. a guy i know from peoria bought 200 acres in macomb illinois. "within 5 miles of where the Non-Typical Dexter buck was harvested". and the landowner only hunts shotgun season. hes getting pretty old so he says if i cut him up a couple loads of firewood for his cabin and help him hang tree stands i can bowhunt it. i also help him do other odds and ends. so im not sitting on 200 grand FATBOY. i just work hard for what i have just like you.

then i would spend my time, and money at home, trying to manage gramp's land to grow bigger bucks. it would be a heck of alot cheaper in the long run.

Top Bottom