Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QUICK question

If its a marginal hit, or I'm not completely sure its a double lung/heart shot I will leave the deer overnight if shot in the evening and will leave them until the evening or possibly following morning if shot in the morning. If I know I center punched one I usually wait long enough to gather my nerves, my gear, get down, and possibly wait for my brother to show up for the track job.

If its a marginal hit, or I'm not completely sure its a double lung/heart shot I will leave the deer overnight if shot in the evening and will leave them until the evening or possibly following morning if shot in the morning. If I know I center punched one I usually wait long enough to gather my nerves, my gear, get down, and possibly wait for my brother to show up for the track job.

Agree with this^

I one lunged my buck last year. He was quartering torwards me and clipped the one lung. We waited 2 hrs and started tracking. We jumped him about 100 yards from my stand so we backed out. I went out to look for him at sunrise and found him about 50 yards from were we last jumped him. With the pass through he didn't bleed much just followed where he had brushed up against the tall grass.

Realize that every one lung hit is an individual case with steepness of angle or degree of quartering postion of the deer (up/down, quartering to/quartering away). I believe that you always have to error on the side of caution and give the deer the needed time to expire. With that being said "bigbuckhunter88" and "blakesburg" gave the advice that I would follow if I were in your position.

I would go in alone with bow glassing ahead go slow and put the wind in your favor. Also realize a single lung shot can be survived. I shot 1 Nov. 7 one year it was jumped by another hunter immediatly and us later that night. A lucky break the next day put me on his trail. Long story short he was bedded with a hot doe within 48hrs 3/4 miles away and lived another year. At the initial spot where he caughed and bled (classic lung blood) by the amount you would think he wold of been dead close they are true survival machines. Good luck don't mean to be a downer a majority of the time you will find them close. That is one shot I wish I could of analyzed.
If you do jump it and it is apparent he is still bleeding and and it is lung blood protocal is to stay on him keeping blood from clotting.

Last edited:
Not to steal your thread but I shot a nice one tonight at 3:37 @ 13 yards completly broadside. Had a complete pass thru but the shot was a little high, in the rib cage but high. Watched him walk and I mean walk to about 70 yards away and lost sight of him. About 15 minutes later I heard some tussling where I last saw him. I waited 30 minutes more grabbed my arrow and backed out. Not going out until the am to look for him. I truly believe because of the angle I one lunged him. I'm just hoping that backing out like I did pays off. Words of encouragement welcome. Its going to be a sleepless night for me.

Top Bottom