Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quick Turkey Hunt

ReflexGrowler

So I head to walmart to buy my tag Monday a little after 4:00. Then to the grocery store to meet the wife to do some shopping. Rush home to put groceries away and then down to the basement to get ready to hit the fields.

I arrived to the field shortly after 5:00. Walked down a fence row to the bottome of the hill where there is an opening in the fence since we own both sides. These is a big tree at this opening with low hanging limbs so decided to throw up the ground blind under it. After a couple minutes of getting it situated I get my 2 hen decoys and set them out about 12 yards from the blind, and I crawl in to get ready. 5:20pm

I let out the first few yelps on an old Jackpot slate call I had. Nothing. I bought a Quaker Boy Triple Threat call a month back and got it out. I decided I was going to hit all three of them and see which one might work. So after trying the first and waiting a min or two with no response I moved on to the next section of the call. Still nothing.. At this point Im staring at the call thinking please work. I took the striker to the Alluminum section of my Triple Threat and BOOM a Tom responded. So I wait a few minutes knowing he knows my location now. Then I hit it again and wait. No response. after a minute or two longer I hit it one more time and it sounded like Thunder just inside the timber line! The blood was flowing now! Shortly after the air shattering gobbles 3 Toms popped out of the fields edge infront of me. I quickly put in my mouth call and knocked an arrow as the Toms were only 80 yards out at that point and headed my direction. I gave out a few clucks and puts and they were committed. At about 20 yards I drew back my Hoyt Rampage XT with Carbon Express Arrow and Rocket Steelhead and waited. It seemed like a split second and they were there. I could hear them Drummin and you could here them break into Full Strut! I waited for the birds to clear each other and settled the pin in on the last bird. THWACK! The first 2 toms went running away and the 3rd was walking at a fairly quick pace. He went about yards and started slowing down. He began to duck in towards the fence when the Death flop started! BIRD DOWN! 5:45PM

It all happened so fast I couldnt believe it. Biggest bummer is not taking the 2 seconds to grab my video camera. Oh well there is still bird #2.

Thanks for Reading.

Bird Stats: 11" Beard 1" Spurs Guess on weight 22lbs give or take a couple.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks. Congrats on your bird as well! Wish it was a Merriam like yours. I need to find some ground in Nebrasaka to hunt to I can take out one of those beautiful birds.

Yes fast hunts are fun! I had one a few years ago that lasted 15 minutes from the time I left my truck to the time I arrowed a bird!
Congratulations!

Top Bottom