Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quiet morning ends with a BANG!!

MuzzHunter

On a 20ft High
My Saturday morning started with a last minute decision to go hunt a piece of ground that had produced in years past for me. I got to my destination about 45 minutes before shooting light due to where I was going to setup I had to possibly walk right under roosted birds. I get in the area up on this beautiful ridge and it starts getting light and I'm expecting to start hearing some gobbling soon well a half hour goes by without hearing a single bird within a few hundred yards of me. I decided to pack things up and head to the north section where there is a big field that birds are always in. I get to where I can see the field and look around and spot a turkey right away. Its a couple hundreds out in the field but I figured what the heck I have to give it a shot. I get setup about 20 yds back in the timber to stay in some cover. I begin doing some calling sequences and can see the lone turkey stop every once and awhile and look but never seemed interested so I just stopped calling for awhile.
Before I know it 20 minutes goes by and I look back across the field where the lone turkey was and now see 9 birds walking across the field and can see three for sure that were strutting. I called to them some and never showed much for interest either. They had a place in mind they were going and nothing was gong to stop them. They get to the other side of the field and I watched two of the strutters chase the other strutter around for quite awhile. I let out one more calling sequence and decided to just shut up and let them do what they wanted to. Well after a 10 minutes of being silent I look up and spot a turkey headed my way. It was a hen but not far behind her I spotted the strutter coming around the bend in the field. Then out of the timber pops another hen and both hens suddenly start running right towards my position. As they start going the gobbler does the same and the hens got to about 40yds from me and stopped. The longbeard started strutting again about this time I lose sight of the hens behind the brush to my left then all of a sudden they both cut back to my right about 10 yds away. The gobbler dropped out of strut and was on a dead sprint towards them but was cutting towards my right to where I wouldn't be able to shoot from the brush. Once he was within easy gun range I rolled up on my knees and still couldn't get a shot off so I just jumped to my feet, he stretched his head out and I settled the bead on his head and let the super mag bark. He dropped and never moved a muscle after that. I keep telling everyone, typical men letting the ladies get him in trouble because I'm truly convinced I called his hens in to me and he just happened to be tagging along.

He weighed in at 22lbs 2oz, had a 9 1/2" beard and 1 1/8" spurs

Top Bottom