Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Raccon bounty

kelcher

So is the raccoon bounty official? Do you have to drop off tails in the county they were caught in? Any idea on when and where the tail collections would be?

I don’t think it past this round but I might be wrong. This one, IMHO, needs to come back & be approved. If fur prices rebound, maybe pause it? I am not a trapping expert or make $ trapping but in a very basic sense, coon populations are epidemic insane high & most can’t find anyone to trap. Some folks in a few counties are hearing “this is how much id charge u to trap”. Open to solutions & feedback. Glad we have 365 day coon season now.

I'm not a huge fan of bounties. In modern times there hasn't been a program that has shown any success statistically. SD program doesn't have sufficient monitoring to show success or failure. It's a money pit. The biggest thing is- where does the money come from? DNR budget? The one that is already razor thin and can't hire enough biologists or pay them what they're worth as it is?

I'm all for killing nest predators and corn raiders. I think the year round season is going to be huge, I already know people taking advantage of it and even seen some promoting on social media "influencer" pages (I hate that term but it is what it is).

Will be trapping them anyway. Just thinking if there is something to compensate the effort instead of just spending $.

I don’t think it past this round but I might be wrong. This one, IMHO, needs to come back & be approved. If fur prices rebound, maybe pause it? I am not a trapping expert or make $ trapping but in a very basic sense, coon populations are epidemic insane high & most can’t find anyone to trap. Some folks in a few counties are hearing “this is how much id charge u to trap”. Open to solutions & feedback. Glad we have 365 day coon season now.
I think a lot of trappers are going the NWCO route because the fur prices are crap. The only way to make money trapping is to do it on a nuisance basis. Hence, trappers charging to trap.

I struggle with this mightily as a trapper. I’ve been fortunate to have ground to trap. I also have farmers reaching out to me to come trap. But also, most of it is at least 30 minutes from where I live. With $3+ gas, that’s a tough call to make.

I’m usually able to parlay trapping into other permission, specifically pheasants, I also have a hard time saying no, as I can help farmers I’ve known forever, and I get to trap with my father and my kids.

I'm not a huge fan of bounties. In modern times there hasn't been a program that has shown any success statistically. SD program doesn't have sufficient monitoring to show success or failure. It's a money pit. The biggest thing is- where does the money come from? DNR budget? The one that is already razor thin and can't hire enough biologists or pay them what they're worth as it is?

This 100%. The bill stuck all the costs to the DNR.

I’m with you though I think the year round trapping is already having a big impact. Will I partake in it probably not because I’m not about killing animals just to kill them. Do I trap hard in the fall when their pelts are prime and worth something? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree that with DNR budgets razor thin, it doesn’t make much sense for the bounty to come from the general DNR budget pool. It would be awesome to create a fund - similar to the Arkansas turkey stamp. Anyone can voluntarily purchase the stamp, not required for any recreation activities, and all proceeds of the stamp are directly earmarked for turkey research / habitat work.

It would be nice to see this across the board, not just for a bounty program. We see many, many projects on public land go unfinished due to lack of moneys and labor to complete them. Many food plots / fields go unplanted year over year. Any brush clearing done, just gets worse because they don’t have the budget to follow up spray the invasives.

That being said, the 365 day trapping is DEFINITELY going to have an impact! Many of us, are too busy during the fall with hunting and various activities to keep up with a daily trap check. I believe there is a plethora of folks that will be taking advantage of this. I wish they would make it across the board - not just for landowners on their property. Still, what a great improvement over the past system where nobody trapped at all due to fur prices through the floor!

Also, everyone talks about trapping but if you've never tried calling coons, it's a blast. It's pretty easy too. A guy can thin out a large population with a cheap electronic (or even hand held) call and a 22mag or shotgun. Throw in some dog proof traps or even a thermal and you're going to be stacking nest raiders like nobody's business.

Also, everyone talks about trapping but if you've never tried calling coons, it's a blast. It's pretty easy too. A guy can thin out a large population with a cheap electronic (or even hand held) call and a 22mag or shotgun. Throw in some dog proof traps or even a thermal and you're going to be stacking nest raiders like nobody's business.
What time of year are you calling them? Does the calling only work at night? Always wanted to try it.

What time of year are you calling them? Does the calling only work at night? Always wanted to try it.
ditto, i want to try this.

And for those that are not close to their property to check traps daily this might be a better option than trapping? Like can someone set up and call and expect to call in several over a couple of hours?

They'll respond to calls year round. We always use "coon squalls". If you've ever heard two coons fighting in the dawn/dusk treestand time then you know the sound. We've put out the furry spinning decoy too and that'll suck them right into like 10 yards. Make a setup, call a couple in (or not) and then move down the creek a couple hundred yards and do it again.

Night works great but any dawn/dusk timeframe is good too. I've heard you can do it any time of the day and have success but we've always done dusk to a couple hours past. A good spotlight and you can walk right up to the area and shoot them or call.

I’ve had great luck calling raccoons out of den trees in the middle of the day. Put the call on the opposite site of the hole you expect them to come out of, this makes them come completely out. Turn on coon fight or coon distress and get ready!!!! Last year we had two come in running from 50 yards away. My son started shooting when they were less then 10 yards out. He swore they were coming for him!!! I use a 12 gauge because the fur isn’t hardly worth anything anyway. But a 17 hmr works pretty slick too.

Top Bottom