Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rain Gear

Benny

Howdy:

Wondering if anyone has a recomendation for breathable rain gear that does not sound like a trash bag and is small enough it can fit in a pack for back country elk hunting.

Thanks for any help

The good stuff all sounds a little like a trash bag. Its gotta be gortex to be good. Browning makes some good stuff or Cabelas MT50. I wouldnt buy anything unless it explicitly says its gortex.

"Cabelas MT50"
Remember videoing this awesome kill coming into the rattling sequence like no other buck in history(well at least you thought were, until we saw him drop from the stand and you realized you forgot to hit the record button).

Well, any way you were soaked and I was relatively dry....I had on MT50 that day..we were the only guys that went out and the MT50 saved the day for me for the most part. A touch noisy but in rainy weather not really noticable.
308Iowa_soaked_2003-med.JPG

I also have a variation of MT50. I've got the Rain/snow system where I can zip out liners depending on the temp. The Cabela's rain suede is an amazing product.

I bought the Bass Pro Redhead "Stay Dry" rain gear set a couple years ago. It too is Gortex. I've been happy with it (I was happy with the price too), and both jacket and pants fit easily in a medium sized fannypack pocket. A little bit of noise, but quiet enough that I got within ten yards of a coyote last year on the ground. One less backstrap thief in my neck of the woods.
smirk.gif

Take a look at the Mossy Oak APX gear. Mossy Oak APX Gear

I have a set that I bought 4 years ago and it still works great. Extrememly quiet and rugged. I took it with me last year on my DIY elk hunt in CO and it kept me dry and warm. I don't have the insulating layers just the shell.

Benny
Looked at the some of the Sitka gear today. It is pricey but looks very nice. I may buy a peice or two to try it out. The mountain pants and vest look real nice. The rain gear is definately pricey, but seems to be getting real good reviews from what I can tell.

What camo pattern were you thinking of getting? Mountain mimicry or ASAT?

I've never been disapointed when I have bought quality in the past for any purchase. Usaully outlasts the 3 or 4 crappy garments you get in between and is a lot more comfortable. Like anything you get what you pay for.
grin.gif

I know this isn't advertised as rain gear, but I'm going to throw in Cabela's silent suede pant's and jacket into the mix. I have the pant's and jacket in the outfitter brown camo, which are both insulated. They have the Dry Plus which I guess is Cabela's Gore Tex knock off. It works. I have a few items that have it and it's always kept me dry. The silent suede isn't exclusively rain gear, but it is awesome when it's wet and cold out.

Benny
I pulled the trigger on the Sitka Gear. Decided to go with the ASAT pattern over the Mountain Mimickry.
I picked up the Mountain pants, the vest, and the zip top summit shirt. Price was a bit steep, but no more really than what I use to pay for scent lok/scent blocker clothing. 267$ including shipping. I am told that these are lifetime purchases. We shall see. I tend to be hard on clothing.

Sitka Gear

Top Bottom