Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rain????

Jethro

Doesn't look like it's going to be the perfect conditions for youth season this weekend. Calling for rain, wind, snow & cold. I'm planning on taking the boys out and more than likely doing some blind hunting. Couple of questions for you; If it is raining & windy do you think it would be better to set up in the timber or outside of the timber? Up high or down low in the bottoms? Do you think decoys are going to help? Just wondering what everyone's past experiences have been orwhat they have heard.

well, i think the right answer is very situational,
if it were me, id take the Matrix out and set up out ofthe wind in an open area. MY OPINION is turkeys like open areas when it is raining as the rain makes a lot of noise in the timber and makes it easier for a predator to sneak up on them! (in the timber) so id go field edges if you have the option.

the rain wont stop the birds, hopefully the weather looks up!

Good Luck

If it's raining then i agree the field edges seem to be were there at. If it's real windy and no rain, i would set up in the timber bottoms out of the wind.

A steady rain, minus any real dramatic winds, will almost always bring the birds out into an open area such as a field in my experience. I agree with the notion that the birds may feel safer outside the timber in this scenario because of the niose of the rain falling, etc. IMO, the best time to spot turkeys from the road is during a rain, it is like the fields fill up at that time.

I remember one time shooting a tom in the rain that was so wet that his tail feathers were all matted down to the extent that all you could really see was the spine of the feather when he was strutting. If it is windy, then I would still look for a field or opening situation that was protected from the wind. They may not gobble as much in wet weather, but they surely can be killed in the rain!

Top Bottom