Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rainy day Mother/Daughter does

IA_shooter

A LOT of the posts in here I see with pics are all about bucks. Until 3 seasons ago, I had never shot a buck. I think the does deserve a little coverage so here goes.

I had scheduled this Monday and Tuesday off from work 2 months ago for deer hunting and I wasn't about to let a little rain (which turned into a LOT more rain later) keep me from hunting. I like to hunt solo and spend many hours just sitting quietly near heavily traveled trails.

I had passed on the does all weekend and I could have easily shot a few a couple of different times. I probably saw 20-some does Sunday but let them all pass just in case there was any bucks nearby but while sitting there getting soaked yesterday I thought to myself ............. I'm not going to get soaked for nothing so if any does come by, they're going DOWN!

I like the posts with the big bucks in them but I thought I'd share my success from yesterday filling my 2 doe tags and I figured I earned it sitting in the rain while hunting and then gutting and loading 2 deer in the dark by the light of my headlights in some heavier rain all by myself.

I watched this bigger doe and 2 smaller does come down the hill through the timber so I carefully got into a shooting position and played a waiting game for them to come out into the open, which was a cut bean field. Luckily the bigger doe came out first and I let her get several steps out into the open and let her have it with the 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slug Hunter shooting Remington Accu-Tips. She ran a short distance into some grass just beyond the field, which is very narrow in that particular spot, and circled right back to where I shot her and she collapsed. She may have run about 40 yards total.

The H&R is a single shot so I popped out the shell, put the spent casing in my pocket and quickly popped another one back in thinking that the 2 smaller does may have been momma's yearlings and they just might stick around not knowing what just happened and I had 2 doe tags so I figured I'd wait and see what happens. Sure enough the 2 smaller does came out into the open just a few minutes later looking unsure of where they wanted to go so I put the crosshairs on the one in front and let her have it too.

By the time I got both of them rounded up, gutted out, and loaded up I was soaked to the bone and covered in mud and blood, and I loved it! By 6:00 they were at the place I get them processed. Now I'm going to have steaks/roasts/burger/summer sausage/sticks and jerky made out of these 2 does. I give away the good majority of the stuff to friends/family who love it when I bring them their yearly deer meat.

So now I get to concentrate on a buck tomorrow and this next weekend. If I get one......GREAT! If not, that's ok too! I hunt central Washington Co.

So here is the mother/daughter combo. Momma still had milk in her BTW.

2014-12-15181752_zps17838162.jpg

Nice job. All hunts and harvests are fun and hopefully as memorable as this one. A lot of people (myself included) tend put too much focus on rack size.

Keep up the good work and keep having fun enjoying the great sport of whitetail deer hunting no matter what weapon you use, method of hunt you choose, or sex/size of deer you take.

Top Bottom