Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rainy day muzzleloading....

G

GunnerJon

Well, all this storming and rain reminds me of the first day of early season muzzleloader last year in my neighborhood and how I had to compete with the rain to stay on stand. I was just wondering what are some of the ideas you guys/gals use to keep your frontloader rain-tight? Last year I stayed on stand all day and got soaked from the waist down (I needed rain pants to go along with my jacket!). I used seran wrap and a rubber band to seal off my muzzle and I stuck a glove between my scope and the breech on my Knight to keep the nipple dry. It worked perfectly.....I shot a buck the next day after sitting in all that rain. What do all of you out there do to keep your muzzleloader dry?
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

That is funny that you used the glove method also! I used it opening morning and pointed my muzzle down while in the stand. Shot a nice buck opening morning, so it must have worked!

Try using a couple pieces of eletrical tape over the bore. Or try using a balloon over the bore.
They both work great.
Good luck and good huntin

Jason

Naturally when you use the finger out of the latex glove your hand shouldn't be in it. Ha! I couldn't resist. I personally use a piece of electricians tape.
Pupster

Well here is my two cents on this topic, I use a condom over the end of the barrel of my Knight rifle and TK 2000 shotgun during rainy weather. it works very well. As for keeping the breech dry-if you have a Knight rifle I would seriously think about purchasing one of the Disc Extreme conversion kits, they are totally water proof, and I think available for most Knight rifles. Knight also makes,as do other manufacturers, a leather breech cover that attaches over the breech area and around the stock of the firearm which doesn't effect the normal firing of the rifle.

I've used condoms, latex glove fingers, and black electrical tape. The latex glove fingers seem to work the best for me. The tape seems to loose it's adhesion after a bit, and I don't normally have condoms handy.
wink.gif
I never have had a problem with the breech.

Rain is for ducks...

I've had OK luck with electrical tape. I usually carry a roll of tape in a good plastic ziploc freezer bag and the bag can be split and taped over the breech if needed. I'm usually more worried about the muzzle.

MAYBE I'VE BEEN LUCKY BUT, I'VE NEVER TAKEN GREAT CAUTION WITH MY KNIGHT DISC IN FOUL WEATHER. I WORRY MORE ABOUT KEEPING MY SCOPE CLEAR THAN ANYTHING. AFTER 5 STRAIGHT RAINY DAYS OF CARIBOU HUNTING IN ALASKA MY DISC FIRED PERFECTLY WITH NO PRECAUTIONS TAKEN. LIKE I SAID THO..........COULD BE JUST DUMB LUCK

THOUGHT I'D ADD ONE MORE THING. MY MOST FAVORITE DEER HUNTING IS GETTING DOWNWIND ON A RAINY DAY AND STALKING WHITETAILS. 3 YEARS AGO I GLASSED A NICE 8 SLIPPING INTO A NARROW DRAW. IT HAD RAINED ALL NIGHT AND WAS DRIZZLY THAT MORNING SO WALKING WAS VERY QUIET. HE DIDN'T COME OUT, AND I THOUGHT MY CHANCES WERE DECENT TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH FOR A SHOT. WHEN I SAW HIM AGAIN HE WAS 10 YARDS FROM ME BEDDED DOWN AND THATS WHERE HE STAYED. IT TOOK ME ABOUT AN HOUR TO MOVE THE HUNDRED OR SO YARDS TO THE DRAW BUT IT WAS VERY EXCITING. ESPECIALLY KNOWING HE WAS THERE............................

THOUGHT I'D ADD ONE MORE THING. MY MOST FAVORITE DEER HUNTING IS GETTING DOWNWIND ON A RAINY DAY AND STALKING WHITETAILS. 3 YEARS AGO I GLASSED A NICE 8 SLIPPING INTO A NARROW DRAW. IT HAD RAINED ALL NIGHT AND WAS DRIZZLY THAT MORNING SO WALKING WAS VERY QUIET. HE DIDN'T COME OUT, AND I THOUGHT MY CHANCES WERE DECENT TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH FOR A SHOT. WHEN I SAW HIM AGAIN HE WAS 10 YARDS FROM ME BEDDED DOWN AND THATS WHERE HE STAYED. IT TOOK ME ABOUT AN HOUR TO MOVE THE HUNDRED OR SO YARDS TO THE DRAW BUT IT WAS VERY EXCITING. ESPECIALLY KNOWING HE WAS THERE............................

Top Bottom