Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

range finders that take angle into consideration..

muddy

I am thinking about getting my own range finder, one that can take the angle into consideration and then give you the correct distance. Anybody have any experience with them? Any suggestions on specific brands?

Clinometers need not apply.

Leupold = not user friendly
Nikon = Great optics
Bushnell = good range finder, optics not as good
Personal opinion.....angle or arc, greatest gimmic currently on the market.
Good luck. They are an electronic clinometer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good luck. They are an electronic clinometer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

So long as I don't have to use a calculator or a pencil and paper to figure out the distance I'm good. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My dad has the Leupold one and he seems to like it. He did have to read the directions to figure it out though /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif And it seems to have better optics than my Nikon.

I would not bother with getting one that has arc or other angle compensating technology if you are just going to be tree stand hunting. The difference in distance will be negligible at the heights you bowhunt from. Now if you plan on hunting out west with a rifle and take some long shots at very steep angles then I could maybe see buying one with this technology. Just use A2 + B2 = C2 for figuring out the length of side on a right triangle. make sure to keep all measurements the same ie feet or yards and see what you come up with the distances are not much different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWIABOONER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just use A2 + B2 = C2 for figuring out the length of side on a right triangle. </div></div>

You're telling me that when a big buck comes in you try to do math?

I have a tough enough time just using my range finder correctly in such a situation.

I bought one last year. There wasn't very much difference in the yardage and with todays fast bows I don't think it makes much differece, but I don't get much more than 15 feet off the ground. With the heights you climb to it could make more of a difference.

Bottom line, have you killed deer before with out an ACR? Can you blame a miss on lack of an ACR? Buy your babies some cammo onseys. Or better yet, spend the money on your wife. Some day I'll listen to my own advice.

The 'Bonker

I would say bowhunting you don't need one. In Iowa, I don't think you need one anyways. I always see these adds 32 yards line of sight 23 yards actual distance from the tree. Yeah makes sense if you are hunting 60+ feet high. Who does??? They definitely make me chuckle.

I want a new rangefinder just because mine is a POS. I have a bushnell something a rather that is good for ranging something big, but it is useless when trying to pick out a tree at 100+ yards for muzzleloader hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personal opinion.....angle or arc, greatest gimmic currently on the market.</div></div>

hoofline.gif

I have a friend who has the Nikon Archers Choice. I used it in my stand in the back yard against my regular Nikon range finder. Ranges were 30 yards to 15 yards.

Not enough difference to justify the price IMO.
nixweiss.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWIABOONER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just use A2 + B2 = C2 for figuring out the length of side on a right triangle. </div></div>

You're telling me that when a big buck comes in you try to do math?

I have a tough enough time just using my range finder correctly in such a situation. </div></div>

LOL no I wouldn't do that I was just meaning to do it right now with a typical stand set of yours. (A) being the distance form the ground to your stand (B) being the distance from the tree to the target on the ground and (C) being the distance from you in the tree to the target. You'll see that in a typical stand hunting situation it really won't make much difference. I don't think the price is justifed for maybe a yard.

Using Pythagoras's theorum (a² + b² = c²): While hunting in a tree stand at 20 feet high on completely level ground, the actual distance on a straight line from you to your target at 10 yards from the base of the tree, would be 12 yards. At 20 yards it would be only 21.08 yards and at 30 yards, the distance from you to your prey is only 30.7 yards. Range finders that use that technology are pretty much obsolete for hunting from a tree stand with average circumstances. Like stated above, they would really only be useful while taking long range shots from a steep hill or mountain side.

I just purchased a Nikon yesterday, it has tremendous optics. I've been asking every salesman around if the extra money was worth buying the a range finder with arc. The guy yesterday told me it was a marketing scam, it's not worth your money unless you shoot bow competitively. I've learned from salesman that the arc calculates the angle of the shot and how gravity effects your projectile to give you a more correct distance. This in my eyes won't work because The different grains in bullets, arrows, field tips, broad heads, and different grains of powders. The fact of the matter as long as a range finder has a laser you are already taking into consideration the angle. I hope I could help your decision take it for what it is worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a laser you are already taking into consideration the angle. </div></div>

This is true when you stop to think about it. If acr is just a2 + b2 = c2 technology then it really is a scam.

Dean

lets do some math...
lets say
a = 5 yards (15 feet in the tree)
b = 30 yards (dist. the trophy is standing from the tree your sitting in)
So 5^2 + 30^2 = 925, the square root of 925 = 30.414 yards
0.414 yards is the difference in distance from the ground shooting and your treestand. I guess if you were a very very picky shooter you could use this new technology. For me, I just step out different yardages and use natural markers, like small trees, bushes, or dead trees...seems to work and quite a bit cheaper too. Also, I use the same stride hunting as I do practicing so I can get the most accurate pin placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">angle or arc, greatest gimmic currently on the market.</div></div>

i agree with this, no need for angle adjustments, not very relevant in Iowa.

but go with Nikon! great optics, and customer service is outstanding!!!

So.....
You are hunting 30 feet up a tree and a deer walks by at 3 yards from the tree base....its your only shoot opportunity. You have 10 to 60 yard pins. Which pin do you use?

^^^who the heck hunts at 30 ft. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif You in danger of getting hit by a goose at that height where I hunt.

i never hunt any higher than 16-18 ft, and kill plenty of deer.

if a deer is that close to your stand and your 30' up, id be waiting for a better shot......

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I ordered one of the Nikons after hitting a couple deer high shooting from my favorite stand that is 28' to the platform. There is deffinately a huge difference at that heigth when they are within 10 yards. Try shooting almost straight down with your 15 or 20 yard pin & you will hit high enough to only get one lung, spine or no zone, at least that's my experience over the years. Those who say there's hardly any differnece when shooting 15' off the ground at a deer at 10 yards or more are correct but those close encounters from high above could lead to a bad shot so I would like having the advantage without doing math, I have enough on my mind at that moment!

Top Bottom