Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rangefinders

2bowhunt

In the market for a new rangefinder for bow/muzzleloader hunting. I am somewhat partial to Leupold and Nikon but am open to suggestions too. Just wondered what everyone out there was using. Thanks!

I use the Nikon Prostaff 550. I've had it for 2 yrs with no complaints. It doesn't have some of the features that the more expensive ones have, but for bow/muzzy I would say it would work great.

I have the Bushnell Souct 1000 ARC and love it. However, I don't think you can go wrong with Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon or the new Vortex Ranger 1000.

I have Leupold RX-II that I have been using for a long time. They are getting old but they still work great. Had an issue not to long after I got them. I dropped them and the TBR kept giving the same degree of angle. Contacted Leupold sent them in and they repaired them no questions. They sometimes won't read soft or dark objects like my 3D turkey target, but like I said they are an older model newer ones may not have a problem.

I could do without the angle stuff. Mine are set on LOS (line of site). Never had much difference in yardages to see the need for it. Maybe if you are shooting long distances at steep angles, this is Iowa and I haven't had that situation yet. I wouldn't pay extra for that feature. Most come with it now though.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Last edited:
I use a Leupold 750 for the last 2 years and it sucks. The wife got it for X-mas for me. I wish I could lose it like I did my Bushnel. Wish I had the Bushnel back.

I have a Leupold 600 that worked both in WY for antelope and in IA for deer. It's only got a 4/500y range on deer but that's plenty for the type of hunting I do. I know now after years of not having one, I'd be hard pressed to venture out without one.

I lost a Nikon prostaff 550 during turkey season and replaced it with the exact same model. It did everything I needed it to do. My wife has been using a Redfield raider since last year and it has been flawless. Both get the job done for the price.

I could do without the angle stuff. Mine are set on LOS (line of site). Never had much difference in yardages to see the need for it. Maybe if you are shooting long distances at steep angles, this is Iowa and I haven't had that situation yet. I wouldn't pay extra for that feature. Most come with it now though.

Very true statement right there. The angle compensation comes in handy out here, but I have a tendency to be on steep slopes and am accustomed to the longer shot distances that come with hunting out west. Having used mine back in Iowa and out here regularly, I don't really see the need for it in Iowa or other flat places. When I'm on flat ground out here, I rarely look at the compensation, but when I'm on slopes shooting up or down at 50+ yards, I double check the compensation. I've seen it as much as 5-6 yards difference due to slope. But Cooter is right, most come with it now.

Top Bottom