Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rape for food plots?

m_kat

Has anyone had any experience planting rape?
I am planning on putting some in the ground here pretty soon and was wondering if any one has some advise or comments on the stuff.

m kat, I just put some rape in a couple weeks ago in a couple timber plots. It was a little early but I have a lot of fall plots to do and wanted to get the timber plots done and over with. I have planted Rape with clover and by itself. I would suggest putting some clover in with it because clover will be an instant attractant and the this will take the pressure of the Rape. The experience I have had with Rape is that it is preffered by the deer after the first frost. I think it is best in real late season when they are digging in the snow for food. So throw in some clover or try what I did and buy a bag of Shot Plot with brassicas and turnips and plant it with Rape and clover and you will have a heck of a plot. Good Luck! T$

TimberSpirit, Here is some info on Rape.
Rape Seed - Forage Quality (Brassica Napus) Rape is an herbaceous, non-grasslike plant which can be grazed. It is an annual, frequently seeded alone, although may be used with oats or other grains. It can provide a pasture for hogs in about 8 to 10 weeks with a nutritional value near that of legumes. Produces best on fertile, well drained soils. Basically a cabbage-like plant which matures in 10 to 12 weeks, but can be grazed previous to that. The upright, many branched rape plants have rutabaga-like leaves that are 4-12 inches long, slick, and generally lobed. Unlike rutabagas, however, they have no swollen root, only a thin taproot.
Seeding time: Late spring to early summer
Mature Height: 30 to 72 inches
Seeding rate: 4 to 6 lbs/acre.

T$

Top Bottom