Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rattling question

during shotgun season can you rattle for deer if you see one in the woods?? can you rattle when your in the wooods..would they respond to the rattles in december when shotgun season starts or do you just do it when the ruts going??

Shotgun season is a little late for rattling to be effective, IMO. Plus, once the shooting starts, deer behavior changes. I would guess you best bet for rattling would be somewhere towards the end of October/early November, but I'm no expert at it!

I have had my best luck rattling during the end of October, and then again towards the later part of November. I don't shotgun hunt so I can't really help you much with your question, but my guess is that if you're hunting an unpressured area, you could still have luck. Anything is worth a shot that late in the year.

The deer can still be aggressive that type of year and if you want to try and make something happen it is worth a shot. Just remember make it realistic, deer don't fight every 10 minutes and they don't typically go at it for to long. I know late Nov. I have had deer curious during the IL gun seasons so it is worth a shot

Ironwood did rattle in a nice buck that he shot.

It all depends on pressure. If you can get into an area that hasn't been disturbed, it will work. I've called in some smaller bucks in early December. No hogs yet. The one thing I do different is not rattle as aggressively. More tickling of the antlers and trying to get a bucks curiousity.

I also have a friend who's an avid bowhunter and he will rattle all season. He said you have to be ready. A big buck will come in fast, but he'll spook quickly when he realizes nothing is there. There still can be does or young does during shotgun season that weren't breed the first time around. This will turn bucks on too.

I have rattled in multiple bucks during 1st shotgun season. The does that didn't get bred the first time are hitting the second (or possibly third) round of estrous and bucks are still fairly aggressive. Give it a shot, I think you will enjoy! Good luck.

I would start with lighter tickling of the horns because you never know what is in easy ear shot. The Buck I took in 03 was well over 400 yards when I first saw him and he came running to the horns. I am a believer in volume, heavy horns. If they don't smell like they are burning you likely aren't hitting them hard enough. Try rattling with real antler hard and long and you'll smell the right rhythm. Rattling can work all seasons but I am sure some bucks just won't respond ever. Also some areas I have heard just don't get the results because of herd structure. Go out and have fun, rattle when you see them to see how they react.

[ QUOTE ]
I am a believer in volume, heavy horns. If they don't smell like they are burning you likely aren't hitting them hard enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
I love that smell!!

Wow, guess people are rattling more than I thought! Great to hear about it.

What about public versus private ground during shotgun season?

When I hunted Shimek State Forest over a decade ago, beating antlers togethor until they burst into flames would not have been heard over the barrage of shotgun blasts! That was why I didn't figure it would be a good technique. Now if you are lucky enough to have access to large tracts of private ground and if the secondary rut is on, then I can see where rattling might be worth a try.

This one was rattled in at last light on 10-26.

308mn_buck_10-26-03-med.JPG

this one by my buddy benny on 10-31
308HEATH_IA_10-31-03.JPG

This one 11-4
308IA_buck_11-4-03-med.JPG

And this one was 11-5
30811-5-99_MN_buck.JPG

Then there was those misses in late Oct.....
blush.gif

I have had some real good results with it, but I usaully use it as a last resort or when I get that special feeling that the time is now ( hard to explain that one I know).

Granted none of these bucks are super slobs, but respectable.

1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds seem to be the most receptive to it, but occasionally you will get something nice to waltz in often times hanging up around 50 yards or so. At least that has been my experience.

The number one peice of advise i like to give on rattling is to position your stand if possible along an obstruction ie cliff, steep ridge, road, fence line, or basically anything that prevents the deer from getting down wind of you. Or ideally, double up with a buddy and put him ~50-75 yards downwind if the above criteria can't be found. Then again sometimes it just doesn't matter and the rut crazed suckers will run to the bottom of your tree
grin.gif

So, i guess I have had my best luck in the AM between 10-26- and 11-5-! Good Luck it sure is fun when it comes together.
grin.gif

Top Bottom