Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rattling Success Lately?

IowaDave

PMA Member
Just wondering if anyone has had any success rattling the past few days?
I'm not sure whether to sit quiet and grunt at one if I see him and he needs coaxed my direction or try rattling this weekend.

This last week I hunted hard and left my rattle rack in the truck. I've had it spook the does off and small bucks. But Every decent buck I saw I grunted back to within shooting range. I saw them first and then decide to mess with them. I would grunt just enough to get them to turn and start coming back then just watch them search for the buck they thought they heard. I grunted back 6 different bucks last weekend. Mostly 120 and smaller though. It's fun to see how they respond and gives you confidence with the grunt tube and then let them walk. Just my opinion.

I hunted all day yesterday and I had MULTIPLE deer come running in to my rattling. Grunts wouldn't work and as soon as I hit the horns together - they came running

south west Iowa

I have had great success rattling.. Grunting has been spotty at best.. Try not to over due the rattling. You'll have deer begin to ignore it.

I haven't tried in the past few days (haven't been hunting), but haven't been having any luck with rattling this year, even when I have a buck spotted. Grunting hasn't been working either, but I only grunt at deer I want to get a better look at. Most have been small bucks and I choose not to bother with them.

I haven't had any success with any calls this year with the exception of a half rack fork horn that came in to rattling on public.

On the 14th I rattled in 5 bucks at once. The biggest was roughly a 130" 9pt. The rest were much smaller. Since then no luck.

I had better luck rattling in late Oct. I have not had any luck rattling lately starting to wonder if it is time to leave the horns at home.

Top Bottom