Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rattling???

I tried it last week but no sucess. Had a doe come in during the youth season not sure if it was do to the rattlin or if she was just heading our way.

I agree with coldone, I have met some people that swear by rattling, but I rattled and grunted my tail off first couple seasons with 0 results. I know I have beat this horse, but just read an article in a deer mag. Usually these articles push some technique or product. This was about calling. This article I believe was honest. It said calling works dependant on your area. If deer are pressured and have met up with alot of hunters, bucks after their first yr get wise. Calling ,,rattling,,does not work so well. That being said,,you never know how a particular buck may respond, but for me, I'd rather be quiet, unless I see a good one go by too far away.

I have certain areas where it is difficult for them to circle downwind so they have to come very close to see "whats going on." This works well but only if they are in a mood or area where they haven't been thrashed or maybe they feel like the big dog that day? I have had bad luck in open hardwoods but have had great luck with brush piles behind me etc. Somewhat like Pretty boy..works in some areas and others they take off running. Each deer is different as is each sitaution. If you see a giant across a field why not try him? Horns will be almost the only thing that will reach out that far. If they are moving great all morning, I often think rattling may educate them more so that if they were cruising through a natural funnel I may be at a disadvantage. I do rattle but each situation is different and I have never tried before last week in October. Same with decoys and scents.

The way I see it is you might as well try it. It sure isn't going to hurt anything. Just don't get to aggressive until Nov.

I've experienced very good results at times when rattling and at other times...nada! I have witnessed bucks lightly sparring at this time of the year, but I have never seen or heard an a out fight until closer to Nov. 1 or so.

So for me, I would not hesitate to take the antlers in the timber right now, but I would go easy on them. Try to arouse some curiosity, don't try to simulate a knock down, drag out.

Had great luck tickling antlers the 1st couple weeks of the season, by the end of October I get a little more aggressive. Rattled two in last year that I harvested, one October 30th tickling them lightly & another on November 7th being more agressive, one in PA & one in Illinois. I used to think it didn't work but the past several seasons I have had responses. Depends on the bucks personality & mood.

Light rattling with a small set of sheds has worked for me since they've shed their velvet. I'd save the hard rattling for late Oct.

I usually have pretty good luck rattling early on. I just have a tough time getting them within shooting range. Seems where I am hunting might be a little open and when they don't see another deer, they usually skirt me.

I would say that last couple days in October is when I have had the most success with it.. But thats gettin picky.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I think I'm going to give it a go. I'll be out this weekend and I'll let you know what happens.

Could work anytime. To be specific, I'd say my best luck has been in a span from maybe Oct 20 to Nov 5 plus or minus a few days on either side.

2 years ago on october 29th i had a buck 150 yards out on a terrace,i tickled the horns lightly & the buck walked at a steady pace right to me at 13 yards he grossed 157 & is on my wall,so i would say it definately works good sometimes,but not always

From here on until the bucks get "locked" down with the does rattling will work well. I seem to have my best luck in late October for rattling bucks in, and then again after mid november. I'll be knocking the horns together this weekend. I've already got trail cam photos of bucks with busted tines, so you can't say they have only been tickling their antlers together. It's go time.....

rattling, its time, start soft , work louder, its all about the sequence,early morning is best, but have had success mid afternoon.if one comes in , read their reaction, if one comes in, a tickel will bring them the rest of the way. just dont over call, they already know where you are, like turkeys, you just need to coax them the rest of the way.just dont give up your position, dont give up your position!good luck, play the wind

Top Bottom