Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rattling?

Bearcat

Anyone rattling yet? Gonna try this evening and see what comes of it. Haven't been able to get out for two weeks. Do they seem to be moving more?

Much more movement everyday for the past 3. I've rattled a couple times with no response so far.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using IW

Started seeing the first chasing yesterday evening at dark. Rattled this morning right after shooting light and had two small bucks come across the corn field from the other direction I was looking and by the time I stopped the sequence, they were within 100 yards. Didn't come to investigate at all.

You guys are kidding right...? Here they've been so po'ed at me when I started to rattle I was scared they were going to kick my butt! I've had about 12 Bucks come in so far, 7 were 1.5-2.5 year olds then the rest were older and bigger. tonight I rattled 2 Bucks in at a time, one was a really broken up 9 or 10pt. Had great main beams though LOL! Had a dink 6pt come in at 10 yards and check me out with the other Buck. Also got within 2 feet of a 'coyote' (so I thought) it jumped up and it was a fawn doe. Scared the living daylight out of me! My Mom was laughing at me when I told her. I was also on the phone at the time with a friend and now they won't stop laughing at me. I don't think I'll use my Doe tag until Nov. I just want to get out and watch the Deer for now.

I rattled in a shooter last sunday morning to 15 yds but couldn't get a shot through brush. I will Rattle at least once every sit from now till end of Nov. or so

Did a rattling sequence last night around 610, followed by a grunting sequence and by 630 there were atleast 5 different bucks around me all grunting, 2 of them began to fight too. The biggest one was probably a 140 so a decent buck.

I rattle from opening day on.....tickle em early and become more aggressive as season progresses. It doesn't always work but when it does, its awesome. Best advice is to slow down and be maticulas in your sequence

this app is awesome IW

Nothing coming to rattling yet. The last three days in Northern IA have been good, but does are not ready yet. I just hope the first big frenzy holds off until next Friday. Good bucks on their feet, but big boys have not been seen yet!

I rattled in two small bucks yesterday morning. My buddy I was hunting with, rattled in a 150" stud and shot right over his back.

Rattled in a solid 140 in last night after he was at 8 yards about an hour prior to me rattling. Came back at a sprint in about 3 minutes, ready to kick some butt. Also watched him chase off a smaller buck that was doggin a doe earlier. She had to be close.

Sent from my DROID3 using IW

Rattled in a 100" 8 yesterday. Got in my stand around 4:30 and let things settle for about a 1/2 hour. Did a couple of 10-15 sec sequenceswith a couple of short grunts and within a few minutes he came walking in. Did this every 1/2 hour or so with no other results.

Mon 9 am rattled in a awesome 3 yr 140 8 pt. He crossed a deep creek 3 X trying to find the fight! lLater at 10:15 am I saw 2 shooters at 160 yards sparring and rubbing they did nothing when I rattled. Sat eve grunted in a 135 9 pt.

Sat next to a thick bedding area this morning. Area is about 6-8 acres. Had decent activity till about 8:30. Once it hit 9:30 I thought "what the hell" and gave the area a 15-20 second rattling sequence. Honestly, I no than put the horns down and had 3 bucks come in within a minute. Two mature bucks and a 2 yr old 8. The biggest buck was a big bodied ugly boy with a 4 pt left side but a 18-20 inch spike-like main beam on the right. Good mass but just ugly headgear.

Why is it the oldest ugliest ones come in to 7 yds and stand broadside :rolleyes:. Why not a 160 class 10 ?? J/K, a really great hunt this am. Last buck came thru at 10:30 (another 2 yr old 8pt).

Here is the ugly boy that came in close.

picture.php

Last edited:
Sat next to a thick bedding area this morning. Area is about 6-8 acres. Had decent activity till about 8:30. Once it hit 9:30 I thought "what the hell" and gave the area a 15-20 second rattling sequence. Honestly, I no than put the horns down and had 3 bucks come in within a minute. Two mature bucks and a 2 yr old 8. The biggest buck was a big bodied ugly boy with a 4 pt left side but a 18-20 inch spike-like main beam on the right. Good mass but just ugly headgear.

Why is it the oldest ugliest ones come in to 7 yds and stand broadside :rolleyes:. Why not a 160 class 10 ?? J/K, a really great hunt this am. Last buck came thru at 10:30 (another 2 yr old 8pt).

So old he's going downhill? That would be a cool buck to take IMO. Doesn't get any more mature than that.

Top Bottom