Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RC Big Rock Switchgrass

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
FREE shipping in Iowa on 50 lb bags

Flat rate shipping of $30 on 50 lb bags nation wide

5 lb bags- $78.75

50 lb bags. $780.00

Buy 100 lbs or more & also receive a FREE Richardson 112 custom leather patch hat.

[email protected]

RC Big Rock.jpg

Seed.jpg

Hats- Updated.jpg

How long can switch seed stay viable in storage? Can you safely store it in a dry basement for a few years without losing much germ?

How long can switch seed stay viable in storage? Can you safely store it in a dry basement for a few years without losing much germ?
Several years if kept in cool low humidity space. On my own farms that's all I plant because everyone else gets the brand new fresh stuff and I keep left overs for myself.

Is RC Big Rock good enough that you don't feel the need to mix it with a few lbs of say kanlow or liberty?

Is RC Big Rock good enough that you don't feel the need to mix it with a few lbs of say kanlow or liberty?
I would only mix it if you have light soils or live in a region receiving less than 30" rain annually on average. RC Tecumseh is a good option in those cases.

When will you have it available? 6-8 lbs per acre seems like a big gap, what are you running yourself for cover purposes?

If there is no SG in your area do you see it adding to potential bedding cover if it’s bordering food and woods?

When will you have it available? 6-8 lbs per acre seems like a big gap, what are you running yourself for cover purposes?

If there is no SG in your area do you see it adding to potential bedding cover if it’s bordering food and woods?
It's now in stock. Shipments heading out the door starting this week.

I run mine closer to 8#. You can def drop it down and would def with to if seeding with other species.
Got the kids helping me. :)

Screenshot_20231202_145221_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
With this new variety, is the prep still the same or does it afford people to start in the instead of previous fall for good results? I bought 60 lbs and I plan to plant this spring into brome. Any help is appreciated!

With this new variety, is the prep still the same or does it afford people to start in the instead of previous fall for good results? I bought 60 lbs and I plan to plant this spring into brome. Any help is appreciated!
You can do it in spring but you will still want to fall spray when switchgrass is dormant to knock out any brome that came back (it WILL come back)

Steps:
1. if possible burn before greenup to eliminate all trash/thatch
2. Spray at greenup- Minimum 2 quarts per acre gly. Add 2,4d if bad broadleafs
3. drill (if you sprayed 2,4d- wait 7-10 days before planting)
4. spray atrazine or simazine at time of planting
5. can mow during establishment year if bad weeds
6. If foxtail becomes a problem use quinclorac & metholated seed oil
7. Once past 4 leaf stage- if you have weed problems- can spray duracor- this is a newer herbicide and is awesome
8. Fall spray- 2 quarts gly to knock out brome that has come back. warm day- late October or November when switchgrass has gone dormant (no more green in stem)

You can also do a double spray in spring and then drill. You should stay really clean that way- So spray at greenup- wait 3-4 weeks- spray again- then plant.

Top Bottom