Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Re fletching questions

ironwood

I just started re fletching at home and have a few questions.

1) What is the easiest way to clean the old vane and glue completely off?
2) Is there a proven technique to draw a small enough bead of glue as to leave no extra glue along the vane?
3) Do you simply wipe the extra glue off with a rag after the last vane is glued? I am using a Bitzenburger Fletchmaster, one vane at a time.
4) Do wraps like the Iowawhitetail one go on with a simple turn?
5) What are the best glues and vanes available?

I am sure I'll come up with many others. Is there a good on line resource or tutorial for fletching and arrow making? Thanks

1) Dull knife, acetone
2) It doesn't take as much glue as you think (small pinline)
3) By doing #2 you will greatly reduce the extra glue.
4) Slow and one continious motion works best for me.
5) I prefer AAE Fastset Gel and AAE vanes. For feathers I like Goat Tuff and Gateway.

One thing I have learned over the years is take your time and you are going to waste some vanes once you get it dialed in it will be a breeze.

when i put the wraps on i take the backing off the wrap, lay it picture down on a nice smooth table, and then set the arrow next to it. slowly i will roll the arrow onto the edge of the adhesive backing to where i think that just a slim line of the adhesive is touching the arrow. i then push down hard all along the arrow to make that thin line stick. i then pick up the arrow and use my finger to push the rest of the backing down by starting at the little line that started and then slowly rubbing up and down the arrow while turning it to get the rest of the wrap onto the arrow.

glue i use plain ol bond tite when putting feathers onto the wraps. if there is a little extra i don't concern myself with it.

if it were me and you've never fletched i would practice on some old broken arrows until you get comfortable with it. otherwise you'll be ruining both fletching and the wraps. and those wraps suck to get back off the arrow. just make sure everything is clean when you put it together. acetone works great, use it on the arrow, the vanes, and then a little rub down on the wrap when you're ready to glue. i will actually use a damn cloth on feathers (the base of them) and then let them dry a bit before putting them on. dust is your enemy and it is very frustrating to finish up an arrow and then have a fletch come halfway off because something wasn't clean.

another tip...when you're finished with the arrow put a small dot of glue on the front base and rear base of the featther/vane. this will help prevent fletchings from ripping off if you bury them into a target.

I think it was Rudd who gave me the tip of rolling the wraps on a "mouse pad". Lay the wrap out on the pad, then align your arrow and start rolling while maintaining downward pressure on the arrow. Works pretty good for me, and it seems to keep the air bubbles out from under the wrap.
CRITR

mousepad=good
cool.gif

When using wraps, just lay the wrap down on an even surface and roll the arrow onto it. Press firmly on the wrap once it is started. Works pretty easy once you do it a few times. I use a dull knife to scrape off the old fletch and glue and then use acetone to clean it as well as the vane itself. If using a wrap, just take off the wrap and everything comes off. I shoot vanes and have good luck with the elite plastifletch. I like the AAA fastset gel as you can fletch faster. Just a little dab goes a long way. I don't worry about wiping off any excess.

I really enjoy fletching my own arrows. Repairs are a lot quicker when doing it yourself. It also helps to fill the void until hunting season is here.

Top Bottom