Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

read this

thats why i like iwa whitetails. you got 1 or 2 guys thats full of crap , and the bonker . but all in all we let each other know what works and how to save a buck or 2 . we share in highs and lows of this sport. you have a alot of years hunting experince here , and everyone seems to want to help .its as we were family , maybe not hells angels but diffentily IOWA WHITETAILS.

You can have all the Potts, Millers, Reeves and Lakosky's and shove them all in a colvert...I've said it before and I've just said it again. I can't stand any of them and I have met them all.
I feel for them...they used to look at hunting as we do, now it's their job. It would be like winning the lottery then filing bankruptcy a year later.

Have to agree with Len. I read the preview from Gordon where he tries to actually convince everyone that turkey hunting is good. I don't think anyone would dispute that additional hunting opportunities are good for us sportsmen but............his article should be in North American Turkey Hunting Magazine.

I actually compared the Dec/January magazine from one year ago to the magazine with the turkey articles I received a week ago. Both of them had exactly 80 pages. The one difference was a year ago it was 80 pages of DEER articles. The magazine I got last week was 64 pages of DEER articles and 16 pages of turkey hunting stuff.

Gordon said in his editorial that nothing was taken away from DEER. My math has it that exactly 20% of DEER articles were taken away from a year ago.

Guess we know why Duncan left. Also agree that what's left at NAW are TV fanatics. Sure wish I could get on a hunt where some sponsor pays my fees to a top of the line (if there is such a thing) outfitter who has been scouting primo bucks all summer and fall and then makes sure no-one else is hunting this property for who knows how long before the TV fanatic shows up to hunt said primo bucks.

Do these guys; Potts, Miller, Lakosky, etc., etc. think that our hunts are anything at all like theirs? Last info I read on the Lakoskys' is that they own over 5000 acres of prime Iowa farmland, have at least 4 of those big a** John Deere tractors, and actually have to hire some poor folks to manage their food plots now. Do they actually think our hunts are like that?

Wow! How things have changed and NOT for the better.

Not sure how much longer NAW subscription will last given what's coming out of their mouths now. Maybe they are choking on turkey feathers.

i totally agree with above and love that Kruncher comment.. i also used to watch all those guys shows but now i shut them off. when they walk by the posted signs and laugh at how they dont apply to them i think about all the land they tie up and the familys that have been shoved off the land to have to find land elsewhere to hunt. that really irritates me...when i first went to Iowa the public land was barely hunted and you could have huge chunks to yourself. now the last two years i have moved to a different part of the state to hunt cuz those spots are just crawling... i know its cuz the guys got the boot off of there old spots and that makes me sad...especially when i have heard of guys even almost coming to blows on the public ground..i think it all goes back to the commercializing of our sport...oh well just my take..i still loved that magazine that i got when i first started going to Iowa. i got it one year and i think it was a quarterly, it was all Iowa but as usual it sold after the first year and i started getting the whitetail journal which in my opinion wasnt very good....oh well have a nice day guys and things have to get better right?

As Kratz stated:

"Give me a second folks. Ok, now that I have my composure and my eyes are uncrossed".

Kratz, I just about spit my Dew all over my computer damn it. :D I got lazy and did not renew my subscription. Sounds like a "brilliant" move on my part.

As stated by others, I get much more out of IW than I ever did out of that magazine. I struggled some with my decision to not have any article published about my bowkill from 2007 after receiving an offer from a writer for Iowa Game & Fish and Iowa Whitetail. While I had respect for the individual as a writer and hunter, I always felt that the magazine(s) were going to gain "free" content while continuing to publicize the quality of hunting in Iowa. I guess I did not agree with that at the time and this development just makes me feel better about my decision.

Isnt deer and deer hunting tv packed full of high fence footage? Not the hunts, but all the footage with voice over? I have done a lot of filming, and never had a 200" deer lick the camera lens, or been able to follow a 190 double dropper through a creek crossing from 5 feet beside him. Sounds like that is creating a unrealistic image of deer hunting, the exact thing he complains about.

Naw

I think there are a lot of high fence deer pictures in many different magazines. I think that should be disclosed in the photo.

Bottom line: the internet is killing the magazines and newspapers. Example: Outdoor News in MN, used to have two full pages of classifieds on hunting land/real estate. Now with Craigslist (free posts) the section has less about 1/4 of a page. Classifieds were big money for the papers, they have lost a lot of revenue.

Top Bottom