Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Real" antlers Vs Rattle bags

camo658

Which do you prefer?

I've used both but have been using a rattle bag for the past 5 years or so.

I'm thinking of switching back though.

I use the bag too for convenience! It's a pain hauling real antlers around and storing them in the tree while hunting. The rattle bag works great for me I've called in many good bucks using it.

I bought a rattle bag a few years ago for the convenience. I used it several times, sounded like crap, and I don't think I called in any bucks. Real horns for me. Real ones are a lot more fun to call with anyway.

No comparison, however sometimes I honestly don't think it matters. If the buck is looking for a fight, I'm sure sticks beating together would work.

bag.... Safer..... 95% of the people that carry them to the stand, throws one over his shoulder. I have heard to many storied where the fell on them and stabbed themselves.

bag.... Safer..... 95% of the people that carry them to the stand, throws one over his shoulder. I have heard to many storied where the fell on them and stabbed themselves.

You must also be against dodgeball at recess... tag is safer, right?:p

Last edited:
I Always used some Noel Feather Synthetic Horns but they broke so I bought some Primos Fightin Horns. They dont sound the same but they worked great for me. rattled in 2 nice shooters within a week.

Nothing like the real thing. U cant act like you are scraping a tree with a bag or a piece of plastic. Just my 10 cents my 2 cents are free.

I have used fake as well as real. It seems what works best for me is when I am half way up the tree trimbing a limb with my saw and my bow on the ground.

I use the rattle bag since its most convenient to carry. I already carry in my stand, sticks, bow, and pack....I can't afford much more bulk on me.

My first few years of bow hunting had me using the bag. Without much luck I might add. Then once that fell apart I went to real, not much action with those either. This year I bought a pack rack and had more luck with if than any of the other two. I didn't like carrying antlers all the time and the pack rack is super convenient IMO.

I use the real thing. I use a small bungy cord wrapped around them to keep them from clanging around while walking in. I strap them on the front of backpack with ease. Much funner and more realistic sound. When i rattle i hit and grind em so hard i can smell burning bone. Only downfall is they are very visible which i usually turn away from the buck im calling to hide the horns movement.

Wiggleworm said:
I use the real thing. I use a small bungy cord wrapped around them to keep them from clanging around while walking in. I strap them on the front of backpack with ease. Much funner and more realistic sound. When i rattle i hit and grind em so hard i can smell burning bone. Only downfall is they are very visible which i usually turn away from the buck im calling to hide the horns movement.

I painted my horns hunter green. Did wonders for hiding them.

I use both i took a bag and took out the wood and replaced with real antlers, took and cut up a few sheds and a small elk shed. Sounds great like real antlers but is in a bag with a strap and easy to carry.

I use real, but may have to get a rack pack. Buddy of mine had one and I tried it and honestly cant tell much difference at all from the real antlers. I used to use a bag but didnt like how it sounded.

You must also be against dodgeball at recess... tag is safer, right?:p

no i was always more of a bare knuckle brawler at recess.... I wear a safety harness too, does that mean I didn't like the rope in gym class.... I was just stating why I prefer a bag over real antlers.

mudingbuck said:
no i was always more of a bare knuckle brawler at recess.... I wear a safety harness too, does that mean I didn't like the rope in gym class.... I was just stating why I prefer a bag over real antlers.

Whoa...easy there Rocky! I believe it was just a little fun humor...no need to bring out the "bare knuckles"...this time.

Top Bottom