Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Realtor recomendations

Team pewp

Work Sucks!
My cousin and I are looking into investing in some land was wondering if anyone can recommend a realtor to work with. Or is it worth working with a realtor?..........Also, for those of you who have purchased a farm, do you have any helpful advise? (do's and dont's, what to look for, I would do this differently the next time I buy land). Any input is appreciated.

I was kicking around this idea this morning...so yes, any do and donts and helpful advice would be great!!

wait for a mild correction - I am betting things get cheaper in the next 6-12 months. (ok, maybe hoping is a better description):rolleyes:

Do some good hard looking in newspapers and websites for land for sale. Be patient and get what you want. Don't be afraid to offer lower than what's listed if you think it is worth less. I wish I would have been a little more educated about what sort of interest rates are available. Try to walk the ground with a forester before you buy. Once you buy, get to know your neighbors.

You will have a lot of decisions to make. Do you have an area/region in mind? Are you looking for income producing crop land, long term investment land, recreational land or all of the above (aren't we all)? Is a building site important? Is a pond, or pond potential important? Timber for deer & turkeys or CRP for pheasants? (Yes, they will come back with another good nesting season or two.) All things to consider when contemplating "investing" in land. The right realtor can be a great help unless you are in no hurry and want to spend a lot of your own time knocking on doors & making inquiries. Even ask yourself if you are absolutely certain that you can co-invest with the person that you are about to become "partners" with. Staying married is a piece of cake compared to investing in land with a friend &/or relative! It can be done and it can be great, but there WILL be some problems that you will have to work through. Good luck and have fun. :way:

X2 on get to know your neighbors!

Rich Baugh whitetail properties or Nate Ammons Hawkeye real estate/ Iowawhitetailfarms.com couldn't pick better people to work with

Good advice on getting to know the neighbors before buying. My buddy's dad bought 180 acres a few years back and the neighbors have been nothing but trouble. They refuse to acknowledge that he even owns the property. They vandalize his gear, they attempted to break into his shed at night while he was actually there(they keep a camper in the shed for lodging). Unfortunaly he has not been able to catch them red handed and Johny Law wont do anything about it without some hard evidence.

In regards to my partnership with my cousin, I agree we need to work out some logistics. He live is in Houston TX, so I would be managing the property. He is the bread winner so in all likelihood he would just buy the whole property and be the sole owner and I would just get to hunt it and help manage it. If and when he chose to sell would be his decision and I would have no say. His biggest issues is he doesn't want it to be a $ pit so we would need to have some tillable acres to offset the taxes. He makes 7 figures a year and is simply looking to diversify his portfolio. buying land is a good long term investment that will always hold its value. He is a native to Iowa so that is why he is interested in buying here. It would also be a great resource to take his big clients who like to deer hunt. I would have no problem investing my $ on improving the property as contribution for being able to hunt it.

Ideally we would like to be within an hour drive of Des Moines but I am not ruling out any part of the state. If the right piece of land is available for the right price, I will consider it.

I tell you what, this summer once I get licensed I would love to work with you! My family owns and operates a family owned real estate company here in Bedford, IA.

www.trinrealty.com

Last edited:
Realtor recommendation

If your looking for a realtor that also knows iowa deer hunting then the choice is simple....Steve Hanson at Hawkeye Farm management. 641-932-7796

I would contact Gabe Adair from Whitetail Properties. He knows his stuff and will find a great farm. IMO you cannot control who your neighbors are and how they hunt. Focus on the property itself. It will be good hunting and appreciate regardless of who the neighbors are. That said, I apologize for speaking the obvious, but buy a piece that has running water, tillabe acres, crp, and timber. That combination holds deer and has most value. Good luck.

Can't forget about our very own Dwilk- Derek Wilkerson in southern Iowa. He is all over the state doing habitat work as that's his business/job, and knows the ins and outs of hunting and habitat.

Steve Hanson at hawkeye reality is great check out his listings at iowawhitetailfarms.com Steve knows a lot about land and is great to work with, he has some really good farms in sc Iowa!

Top Bottom