Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recent Buck Movement?

sw outdoor nut

I am curious as to what you have been seeing with buck movement. I sat three pm hunts and didn't see a single buck. I hunted one morning and seen two smaller bucks. Meat locker had two real nice youth harvests that were both taken early am. Buddy seen a real nice one first light opening day. Just curious if anyone else has had the same/different experiences so far?? From memory it seemed there was more buck activity in the pm in recent years this early? Thanks!

I passed on the same 130 inch 9pt two nights in a row. I've only hunted one morning so far and all I saw was does. My evenings have been the most productive, except for that one buck every other one I've seen has either been a fork or spike. I think the buck movement has been at night in my area based on the trail camera pictures. I feel like if your going to shoot a good buck early you've got to catch him on his summer patterns. The big boys I'm after have really not be consistent all summer between bouncing back and forth from area to area. If your hunting a very low pressured area you might have a crack at a buck that feels safe coming into the field early or if your hunting in his living room aka bedding you might get lucky.

Weather says its suppose to be warm next 7 days so I'll pry just stick to shooting geese and lay off my timber for now. No sense in getting into my good spots and educating deer this early in the year.

I saw several bucks on Friday and Saturday night. One decent up and comer Friday night with a dozen does and one smaller buck and Saturday night one shooter buck busted me at last light (packing up my stuff inside the blind). By far the best early hunting I've ever encountered, I'm sure it was a fluke.

Slim to none for me. Its been Does and one small buck mornings and evenings. However on my way home tonight I saw a 150-160 jumping the fence next to the road....but it was about 8:45.

Have seen two real nice bucks in am hunts. Both of them were actually a bit later in the morning 8:00 or so. The evenings have produced a lot of bucks but no studs on there feet. Two nights ago I had a decent 3.5 yr old come in and he is by far the best I have seen in the evening.

Kratz

Couldn't hunt the stand I wanted to Sunday evening so I sat an obsevation stand on the other side of the feild and seen 7 bucks. Of the seven 6 of them were 3.5 or younger, but one was a stud. I took video of him for about 30 minutes, at one point he was 25 yards from the stand I wanted to hunt!! He is a typical 10 with matching split G3's making him a 12. Im trying to get some photos clipped out of the video to post, but have not had the chance yet.

Only been out in the mornings and it's been very slow for me. Typically more movement at night in most of my areas pre rut but can't get out due to work.

moon phases are/were good oct 1-5. be good this sunday morning ( too warm for me ill wait), then oct 31 looks like 7 35 moon transit so morning hunt be great, 12.5 hrs later for evening hunt might be good as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom