Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recent FOI news

Fishbonker

Life Member
I received this in an email and is a copy and paste. I did not change fonts, colors or highlighting.

No newsdirectly related to our initiative was reported out of DM this past week but we anticipate that February will be a completely different story. Iowa’s “recycled” new governor and the “new” legislature are finally done feeling each other out on what their respective agendas are going to be for this year and are getting down to some serious work. There are a lot of bills beginning to fill the pipeline and undoubtedly next month will have some surprises for everyone.

One of the big questions floating around concerns the direction which the new Director of the DNR intends to take the department…we believe that Mr. Lande will bring a fresh and innovative style that this department has lacked recently. The reputation of the DNR got bruised under the previous administration and it is expected that the new leadership will tackle many major issues that the previous administration ignored or failed to act proactively on.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************In just a little over 3 years “ Friends of Iowa Landholders & Sportsmen”, which began as a small “grassroots” group , has grown to represent Iowa landowners from over 40 states (including Alaska) and 150,000 acres of Iowa farm and recreational property. Supporters come from all walks of life and many having family ties in Iowa . Our group consists of a large growing group of “ Iowa residents” including landowners whose farms have been designated as Iowa “Heritage Farms”.

We want to thank everyone for their support and this growing interest, continue spreading the word.

Attached below is a complete list of the 2011 & 2012 Legislature for you along with their contact information.

A recent appeal hearing by a small group of resident landowners may have helped to spark the opening salvo against Iowa ’s outdated law denying landowner privileges for non-resident landowners. Whether or not</SPAN>the DNR will succeed with its claims that may or may not deny these individuals of their residency, the DNR has opened a can of worms. Their actions have helped to lay the groundwork for the future of potentiallegal action, if “ Friends of Iowa Landowners & Sportsmen” legislative effort fails. The Iowa judicial system has a history of recognizing individual & landowner rights and ensuring that the constitutionality of the law is upheld. Recent decisions by the Iowa Supreme Court reflects that attitude.

Our opponents are keenly aware that the legal aspects of this issue is no longer on the doorstep, but has it’s foot firmly in the door. And as they try toensure confidence within their constituents they are feeling the ground shaking underneath them.</SPAN>

We share a lot in common with our opponents that goes beyond our sport and hobby. Barring the controversial aspects of this issue there is much that can be accomplished if both sides were able to work jointly for the preservation and improvement of Iowa ’s wildlife habitat. We have reached out in the past to them to resolve our differences and are doing that again this year.

Ultimately there would be no greater goal that can be accomplished for all Iowa landowners than working cooperatively to protect & preserve Iowa ’s wildlife and its habitat for everyone, especially for our future generations to enjoy.</SPAN>

Doesn't this thread address the court issue?

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36635

I did feel the earth shake the other day but I don't think FOI was the reason.;)

Saw this posted by a Iowa resident on another site, this guy got it right.

My thoughts.....
Don't own land but wish I did.
Envy those that do, but love to hunt public land nontheless.
Have nothing against NR's buying land in Iowa or hunting on the land they own buck or doe. (that "Pursuit of Happiness" thing)
Have been in party hunts before but choose to hunt alone or with MAYBE up to 3 people.
Have no problem with NR's party hunting if all is legal. (there are plenty of deer for all)
Choose not to regulate how others hunt as I want my hunting rights, wants and needs protected also.
I really do think it's that simple. Let it go, there are plenty of deer.

Side thought not to steal the thread:
Why is the non resident seem to be held as the enemy so many times? There are ALOT of wealthy Iowa residents "buying up hunting ground" too. I would be interested in see the ratio on this. The realtors are the ones making a killing every time this land gets flipped.

Jdubs,

Here are my thoughts and I bet more residents agree with me than the guy whos post you copied.

I own land or want to and wish that all Iowa residents who desire to could as well.
I don't envy anyone, I just try to live within my own means.
Have nothing against NR's buying land in Iowa or hunting on the land they own just wish they wouldn't try to change our laws to suit their own personal agenda.
Don't care to party hunt and I usually hunt alone or with MAYBE up to 3 people.
Have no problem with NR's party hunting just wish party hunting wasn't legal. (there are plenty of deer for everyone to fill their own tag)
Choose not to try to change the regulations of other States I hunt because I want my State's hunting rights, wants and needs protected also.
I really do think it's that simple. Let it go, hunt when you draw a tag and quit whining.

"There are ALOT of wealthy Iowa residents "buying up hunting ground" too. I would be interested in see the ratio on this."

I have a couple friends who are realtors in South Central and South East Iowa and I asked them 3-4 years ago that very question and both told me that 75-80% of the recreational farms they were selling were being sold to NR. Several Counties in Southern Iowa are at or have passed 50% NR ownership. And you asked: "Why is the non resident seem to be held as the enemy so many times?" That is why!

Iowaqdm, I will challenge those stats any time. I have a resident landowner to my south and west who owns 1000 acres, mostly rec ground, and allows no hunting. I have another resident landowner to my north and east whos owns 800 acres of mostly rec ground, allows no hunting. You want to tell me NR's are locking up land and creating deer sancuaries. I doubt it. Same old talking points every year and they are old.

Lets take a look at Jay Gregory's farm for sale at present. As a selling point the realtor states that 5 landowners lock up several thousand acres, to include Gregory's place. Who are those landowners? I don't know but I would bet residents.

Not all rec land is sold through real estate. Much of it is handed down to family members or sold through word of mouth. So what if a NR buys hunting ground. If a resident bought the property you would still have to gain permission to hunt. So if a resident bought a farm and allowed no hunting you're good, just so it's not a NR? Very shallow.

Jdubs, what?

Should the personal agenda of a resident or nonresident be considered when dealing with Iowa's Natural resources. NRs can buy all the land they want, so can Iowans. Nobody is stopping any of that and nobody has the power to. But to think that Iowa should simply role over and open the flood gates to accelerate land purchases by NRs and privatization of the natural resources of the state, is absurd. Giving NR landowner the privileges of the resident landowner is nowhere as simple as it is suggested to be.

I personally think you are way out there on this one Jdubs!

REALTOR since 1992,

Iowa has plenty of deer for everyone? It is good here, but not that good. And, how do you think it got good in the first place? It wasn't because Iowa opened the flood gates back in the 70's. NR's who buy land in Iowa know the regs when they sign on the line. Nuff said.

In most resident's eyes, it is NOT about the deer. The deer are a renewable resource. They make more of them every November the last I checked. It IS about residents being able to access, enjoy, and maybe even someday afford to buy some of Iowa's resources.

A couple years ago the founder of FOI was communicating his thoughts/agenda on this site. He advised us that "the IDNR should stop catering to the lowest common denominator". Basically saying screw the average Joe deer hunter of this State, because Joe really does nothing for the resource . The serious hunters will find a way no matter what.

I guess if you're not willing to worship whitetails or able to lease or buy ground to support your habits, you're not deserving to hunt in this State?:rolleyes:

Just curious here. Does anyone know what states give any special considerations to non-resident landowners? Meaning, are they treated to the same privileges as resident landowners or treated any different than non-residents who don't own land?

Mo,Ks,Nb If you own 79 ac. you get a reduced tag price and that is just in
this area of the good old USA.

Iowaqdm, I will challenge those stats any time. I have a resident landowner to my south and west who owns 1000 acres, mostly rec ground, and allows no hunting. I have another resident landowner to my north and east whos owns 800 acres of mostly rec ground, allows no hunting. You want to tell me NR's are locking up land and creating deer sancuaries. I doubt it. Same old talking points every year and they are old.

Lets take a look at Jay Gregory's farm for sale at present. As a selling point the realtor states that 5 landowners lock up several thousand acres, to include Gregory's place. Who are those landowners? I don't know but I would bet residents.

Not all rec land is sold through real estate. Much of it is handed down to family members or sold through word of mouth. So what if a NR buys hunting ground. If a resident bought the property you would still have to gain permission to hunt. So if a resident bought a farm and allowed no hunting you're good, just so it's not a NR? Very shallow.
Here we go again Jdubs! You forgot to add about all the revenue you nonresident hunters bring into our great state! So is that what they do in Pennsylvania? Just give the farm to the kids? I wonder which kid gets the land? The oldest? Or word of mouth HA HA! That's even better. Good ole boy style!

Kansas is a draw state also and if you own 79 ac. you get a tag every year at a reduced price. But the question was does any states treat non res.
land owners different then non res. and yes NB,KS, MO do.

Kansas is a draw state also and if you own 79 ac. you get a tag every year at a reduced price. But the question was does any states treat non res.
land owners different then non res. and yes NB,KS, MO do.

However, with over 21,000 Non-resident tags available pretty much any non-resident can get a tag every year.

Kansas non res. deer tag over $400. Non res. land owner tag $77.50. every
year. Neb. Non res. land owner tag $105.00 every year.

JDubs, no offense, but you're off your rocker, dude. Yes, many resident owners don't allow the "average Joe" hunters access, unless they're good friends or related. The big issue is when the deep-pocketed, NR's come in and offer farmer Joe (who owns a lot of land and allows many hunters on it) BIG money for his land that's not even for sale. Farmer Joe sells the land because why wouldn't he at that inflated price, and average Joe gets the boot. Rich Res. and NR's will always compete for the highly touted whitetail farms and regardless, nobody will end up with hunting rights but the owner(s) and a few select individuals. We all know this. But there is more to it than that and if you'd like I could give you several examples of land I've hunted in the past that's been sold or leased to NR's without ever being advertised in any way.

Guys, here is my point. I will use my home state as an example. PA is not a hot whitetail destination like Iowa, but every stitch of land is owned, posted and access is tough because everyone wants a place to hunt. You have to own land or know someone who does to hunt. For those of you who don't own land in Iowa how does that change the game for you, you must gain access from a R or NR landowner, right? For those who argue the price of land will go up with more NR access, your right, but land is going to go up regardless. You will not buy land any cheaper in Iowa than it is at present. Figure out a way to buy.

I think a lot of old dogs in Iowa can't believe where rec ground is going. I recall my resident neighbor telling me "rec ground will never exceed $800 an acre, it's worthless ground." So many R's believed this as well, sat on their hands with the "if its not tillable its junk" mentality and watched the ship leave port. Today he realizes the hunting game has arrived in Iowa via your very own resident hunting celebs and laws/regs/land prices are changed forever.

Last edited:
Guys, here is my point. I will use my home state as an example. PA is not a hot whitetail destination like Iowa, but every stitch of land is owned, posted and access is tough because everyone wants a place to hunt. You have to own land or know someone who does to hunt. For those of you who don't own land in Iowa how does that change the game for you, you must gain access from a R or NR landowner, right? For those who argue the price of land will go up with more NR access, your right, but land is going to go up regardless. You will not buy land any cheaper in Iowa than it is at present. Figure out a way to buy.

I think a lot of old dogs in Iowa can't believe where rec ground is going. I recall my resident neighbor telling me "rec ground will never exceed $800 an acre, it's worthless ground." So many R's believed this as well, sat on their hands with the "if its not tillable its junk" mentality and watched the ship leave port. Today he realizes the hunting game has arrived in Iowa via your very own resident hunting celebs and laws/regs/land prices are changed forever.

Truer words never spoken......

For the Iowa residents that whine about land prices, you best be buying now as it isn't going to get any better.

Eat a beans and wienies diet if you have to, but as with everything that is worth having, sacrifices have to be made. If you aren't willing to sacrifice, that's your call.

Top Bottom