Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recommendations on “structure” for crp....

Rous14

PMA Member
Have a field of crp on my farm roughly 20 acres that the front half of it I’ll say doesn’t really have any structure in the crp. The mix is your typical Indian, big blue, switch, etc....So far in 4 years my experience has been that the front half doesn’t really hold any deer in the summer/fall and in the winter lays down pretty good not providing much cover at all. I’m a big believer, even though I’ve not done it yet, in adding some structure (shrubs, trees, etc...) in pockets to the field to increase the holding power of it.
Question is what would you guys recommend that also provides browse/forage ideally? I’ve read that wild plum, American beautyberry, and red osier dogwood are preferred deer browse. Would you mix in a tree or two with the shrubs like pear or chestnut or more of an evergreen that provides more cover.

I do a CRP shelterbelt-5 row screen on my edges of CRP fields. Usually 3 rows of conifers, one oak and a row of plum or crabapple. Great for travel corridors, and they will bed in the rows after the trees get 5-6 feet tall .

Might be hard to re-enroll the trees after 15 years. But I figure it’s permanent cover.

Needs approval by FSA!

I’ve been communicating with my local fsa point person on it. Was skeptical that they’d be very flexible at all but to my surprise the guy seemed willing to listen and willing to ok it. I think approaching him with what I’m trying to accomplish (improving the habitat for the pheasants, deer, rabbits, birds, etc...ESPECIALLY in winter months) specifics on the shrubs and plantings and a diagram of what it would look like really went a long way in showing that I KINDA knew what I was talking about made all the difference. Believe I still have like 12 years remaining on the contract fwiw.

I’ve been communicating with my local fsa point person on it. Was skeptical that they’d be very flexible at all but to my surprise the guy seemed willing to listen and willing to ok it. I think approaching him with what I’m trying to accomplish (improving the habitat for the pheasants, deer, rabbits, birds, etc...ESPECIALLY in winter months) specifics on the shrubs and plantings and a diagram of what it would look like really went a long way in showing that I KINDA knew what I was talking about made all the difference. Believe I still have like 12 years remaining on the contract fwiw.
The other thing to think about is if you are going to burn that field at all in the next 12 years...youll have to figure out a way to keep those plants safe. Easy enough to do but something to think about....especially if you put out a pile of shrubs and have to mow around every one of them

The other thing to think about is if you are going to burn that field at all in the next 12 years...youll have to figure out a way to keep those plants safe. Easy enough to do but something to think about....especially if you put out a pile of shrubs and have to mow around every one of them
Good point, hadn’t really thought much about that part of it so thanks for mentioning that.

Good point, hadn’t really thought much about that part of it so thanks for mentioning that.
I mention this because I will be doing the same thing. My areas of grasses will be quite a bit smaller than yours but I will be incorporating shrubs into mine and marking them with tall flags so in years to come I can mow around them and keep them safe from the fires

I would put "structure " in pockets of 1/4 to 1/2 acre scattered all over field not in rows !! Then u can put a dire break around each pocket b4 burning

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I mention this because I will be doing the same thing. My areas of grasses will be quite a bit smaller than yours but I will be incorporating shrubs into mine and marking them with tall flags so in years to come I can mow around them and keep them safe from the fires
What kind of shrubs are you planning to put in?

What kind of shrubs are you planning to put in?
I have wild plum coming as I ordered last year ..but I am looking at adding some redosier dogwoods....mine is going to be a several year process as I want to get the fields established first....my farm is a bit unique as far as the cover goes. I am also looking into some cost share from the NRCS for this project

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I would put "structure " in pockets of 1/4 to 1/2 acre scattered all over field not in rows !! Then u can put a dire break around each pocket b4 burning

Similar to what I’m thinking. I hadn’t really planned on pockets quite that big (maybe I should). Been my experience that some of the existing small pockets of willows, shrubs etc... that aren’t much bigger in size than maybe the bedrooms in my house always have beds in them. I don’t think it necessarily takes much. So less money and less time I guess if I can plant 3-4 shrubs and a couple trees or something to that affect. I’m actually thinking I want add some “strips” of switchgrass too for additional edge, wind break, cover. How would I do that this spring or am I better off waiting till fall? If this spring I mowed w my bushhog a 4’ wide path in the grass where I want to grow the switch, what do I do from there.....round up to kill what’s there, then.....

Similar to what I’m thinking. I hadn’t really planned on pockets quite that big (maybe I should). Been my experience that some of the existing small pockets of willows, shrubs etc... that aren’t much bigger in size than maybe the bedrooms in my house always have beds in them. I don’t think it necessarily takes much. So less money and less time I guess if I can plant 3-4 shrubs and a couple trees or something to that affect. I’m actually thinking I want add some “strips” of switchgrass too for additional edge, wind break, cover. How would I do that this spring or am I better off waiting till fall? If this spring I mowed w my bushhog a 4’ wide path in the grass where I want to grow the switch, what do I do from there.....round up to kill what’s there, then.....
Didnt you mention that there is already switch there?

Didnt you mention that there is already switch there?
So there is some in the mixture they used but it’s fairly sparse and randomly spread throughout the field. Just not enough of it really to provide good winter cover. Most of this field lays down pretty good this time of year and is void of beds or food. I’m thinking a pure stand of it in strips though would hold up way better this time of year. Actually have some wild pheasants on the farm and surrounding area and thinking this would help them a ton too.

So there is some in the mixture they used but it’s fairly sparse and randomly spread throughout the field. Just not enough of it really to provide good winter cover. Most of this field lays down pretty good this time of year and is void of beds or food. I’m thinking a pure stand of it in strips though would hold up way better this time of year. Actually have some wild pheasants on the farm and surrounding area and thinking this would help them a ton too.
When was the last time you lit that place on fire? If its been several years maybe thats why it is so sparse?
I think if it was mine, judging by the comments. I would light it up here soon, now! Then you could easily spread some switch seed, then you can figure out where you want your shrubs to be without having to "look through" the grasses, and then see what happens. Then after this year of growth you will be able to see do you actually need more switch or was it just being a bit choked out by the "duff" on the ground.

Higgins talks about making an “X” in his fields with miscanthus and how the deer love to bed in those inside corners of the X
I’m not necessarily thinking that specifically but something along those lines with the strips of pure switch

When was the last time you lit that place on fire? If its been several years maybe thats why it is so sparse?
I think if it was mine, judging by the comments. I would light it up here soon, now! Then you could easily spread some switch seed, then you can figure out where you want your shrubs to be without having to "look through" the grasses, and then see what happens. Then after this year of growth you will be able to see do you actually need more switch or was it just being a bit choked out by the "duff" on the ground.
Just burned it, not last spring but the spring before. We were actually disappointed a bit that these last two summers it hasn’t looked much different than it did pre burn.
Summer through late fall it’s a good field, don’t get me wrong. Fairly thick, pretty tall 3-5’ probably, but it’s this time of year where it really falls short imo. Especially when we get a little snow like this year it’s just not great. Just seems to kinda mat down to knee high and it’s just very mediocre cover. I’ll try to get pictures of it and post them.

If planting "strips", be careful not to make something that coyote can hunt real well just by running the downwind side.

Have a video of when we burned the field but struggling to get it posted. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

If planting "strips", be careful not to make something that coyote can hunt real well just by running the downwind side.
Suggestions on how to avoid that Daver? Seems like no matter how I’d do it, X shape like Higgins, straight line strips, curved non linear shapes, etc....it’s going to be approx 4’ in width and will creat edge on both sides of it so not sure how I’d avoid that but you have my attention for sure

Suggestions on how to avoid that Daver? Seems like no matter how I’d do it, X shape like Higgins, straight line strips, curved non linear shapes, etc....it’s going to be approx 4’ in width and will creat edge on both sides of it so not sure how I’d avoid that but you have my attention for sure
Make x's only 20 to 30 ft long each leg !

Top Bottom