Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Record Books

Bakes

I was wondering how many of you guys/gals enter your trophies into the record books. Whether it be Pope & Young or Boone & Crockett?
Thanks in advance,

Nonres

I've been lucky enough to arrow one Pope and Young buck. I did enter him into the book, but all the bucks I shot are trophies.

SD Buck

I do not have any B+C bucks yet but have 8 bucks that will score from 125-165 that I have not entered for various reasons. #1. The deer I have shot with bows that P+Y does not recognize as "legal" (>65% let off) were just as tough as the 65% L-O bowkills. #2. I have gone into hunting with an attitude of self satisfaction when I outsmart a mature buck and have not needed to see my name in print to know that it is a nice trophy. #3. Deer hunting to me is about the experience than the size of the deer. I only shoot mature deer now but if a 130" buck comes to a rattling sequence, tears up my decoy and allows me a shot, in the excitement, I may take him.

I do not look down on people who enter a deer, heck I think it is great that they do, it just doesn't do it for me. Will I ever enter a deer, likely will when I kill a B+C buck.

I don't feel the need to.

However, I do enjoy seeing pictures of other proud hard working hunters, book quality or not.

I have 5 entered in p&y, and 5 more that will qualify but I have not entered, simply because I just haven't got around to it. Its a personel decision whether or not a hunter wants to enter a trophy. I can understand both sides of this age old argument. I guess the way I look at it is, 99% of the people that see my name in the record book, don't know me from a hill of beans, and probably never will. But at least they kind of, for a breif moment, get to know a Buck that I have alot of respect for.

I may enter mine from michigan this last season because its so damn hard to get one here.
And Fred Asbell is the scorer in this area and I would like to meet him.

River Bttm Boy captured my sentiments exactly above. I'll admit it is handy to know how to score a buck so one can communicate with others about relative size and so forth, but I think too many people have gotten way too carried away with "what does he score", etc.

My most favorite buck wasn't my biggest and rack size alone is only a small part of the experience IMO. I still recall the first buck I called in with rattling antlers, no he wasn't a P&Y'er, far from it, but it was a real thrill nonetheless.

I have a couple bow kills that go P&Y but not entered. I did enter this years buck in B&C and P&Y. I wanted the certificates for under the mount. (I have not mounted any others) I intended doing a 144 from 98' but just have not gotten to it even though the cape is tanned! All work and no play
rolleyes.gif

Whtfanasies, I sent one in about a year ago but must have got lost in the shuffle, I will get one taken again. thanks for asking.

Two P&Yers, not registered, not sure why, maybe because there are bigger ones in my woods.

I probably would a B&C, but maybe not.

I have two Iowa bucks in the two years that I have lived here which would make the record book which I do not plan to enter. I think too much glory is placed on the hunter and not nearly enough recognition to the animal who managed to survive long enough and grow enough to make the book. My personal philosophy is not to enter an animal unless it would rank as one of the best taken from a give area. In other words, I would enter a 150 buck killed in NC but not one killed in Iowa as a 150 buck is far more common for this area. That being said, I like to rough score my bucks so that myself and others can get a mental picture of how the animal compares to others in size.

I entered my B&C muzzleloader buck from 2001 in the Sask. record book but not official B&C record books. Like mentioned before, I'd be recognized by virtually nobody whereas there might be afew people up here who know my name when they see it. I doubt I'd ever enter a B&C unless it scored over 200 typical.

This year I was very fortunate to take a deer that made both P&Y and B&C and was honored to have it put on the cover of Whitetail Fanatic magazine .I agree with the comment that some put too much emphasis on the hunter and not enough on the hunted. I for one would love to know where this old 14 pointer has been living for the last 5-6 years. I am very proud to be the lucky recipient, but just as proud of the racks of my first bow buck, an average 7-pointer, and a tiny 8-pointer which was my first shotgun buck. They too are my trophies. stingray

Top Bottom